Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The energy of a photon

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1

bobie

Gold Member

Hi,

Energy is expressed in J or eV, but E= hf
    As planck constant h is J.s is it possible to express the energy of a photon in h/s? If not, why?
    Can we say that the energy of a photon is 2.41 x 10^14 h/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If h = Js, then J = h/s, and you can express E in joules, so it appears to me that you are already using h/s.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3
    E = hf shows photon energy [E] varies with frequency [f].

Your proposal does not.

Your proposal is missing a unit of measure.

For some unit relationships, try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

5. Oct 12, 2013 #4

bobie

Gold Member

What unit is missing?
    A photon with frequency 2.418 x 10^14 Hz has E = 1 eV, is that correct?
    h = 4.135 x 10 ^-15 eV.s , h/s = 4,135 x 10^-15 eV (from your link)
    ( 2.318x 10^14 x) h/s = (2.428x10^14 x) 4.135 x 10^-15 eV
    2.318x 10^14 x h/s = 1
    A photon with frequency 2.418 x 10^14 Hz has E = 2.418 x 10^14 h/s

Where do I go wrong?

6. Oct 12, 2013 #5
    'h' is a constant, right?

What does 's' mean in your equation?? Please explain.

7. Oct 12, 2013 #6
    Be careful here, you are mixing a constant (h) and a unit (s) in the same unit expression, which is very unusual and should be avoided IMO.

You obviously mean

h: Planck's constant ≈ 6.626×10−34 J·s (joules times seconds)
    s: seconds

but h as a unit usually mean hour. The usual unit - the SI unit - of energy is the joule (J), not any h/s. There are also some other units of energy like the electronvolt (eV).

Hmm... I'm wondering if someone will give me a prize for using the most wikipedia links in one and the same short post...?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. Oct 13, 2013 #7

bobie

Gold Member

Thank you all,
    If I got it right, h = J.s cannot be modified to h/s =J.
    But I read that the Hz is equivalent to 1/s, then in the formula E= h.f => E = h. 1[]/s = aren't we mixing a constant with a unit?

9. Oct 13, 2013 #8

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

For clarity's sake let's use brackets when we mean units, and remember to not mix the bracketed bits with unbracketed ones.

f=1/T not [1/s]
    [1/s] is the unit of f

So, E=hf and the units are h=[J*s] and f=[Hz]=[1/s]

Then E=[J*s*Hz]=[J*s/s]=[J]

10. Oct 13, 2013 #9

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks, if h/s is forbidden, how can we express that the scalar of the frequency is always equal to the scalar of the energy of a photon?

11. Oct 13, 2013 #10

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Not sure what you mean. Energy equals frequency of the wave times the planck constant E=hf. These are all scalar quantities.
    You can substitute 1/T for f if you like, to get E=h/T, where T is the period of the wave.

12. Oct 13, 2013 #11

bobie

Gold Member

So , what is the E of a photon with frequency 2.418x 10^14 wxpressed in h/T?

13. Oct 13, 2013 #12

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

It's the same as with the energy expressed as hf. The energy of the photon does not change just because you use some arithmetic to rearrange the equation. h/T is, after all, equal to hf in both value and units.

f=2.418*10^14 [Hz]

E=fh=2.418*10^14 [Hz]*6.626×10^-34 [J*s]=~16*10^-20 [J]

T=1/f
    T=1/(2.418*10^14) [1/Hz]
    T=~0.41*10^-14

E=h/T=6.626×10^-34 [J*s]/0.41*10-14 =~16*10^-20 [J]

14. Oct 13, 2013 #13
    Just came back...
    bobie,
    my post #5 was an attempt to get you to see for yourself the difference between a measure, such as a frequency, f, and the unit utilized to express it, such a cycles per second.
    I think that's what the prior posters are explaining,too.

If you write out the UNITS associated with any measure, any formula, you will see whether you have consistency:

for example distance equals velocity times time, right?? :
    a distance = ft/sec x seconds = ft and that makes 'sense'.....the seconds cancel.....if you have instead a measure of speed such as [50] miles/hour x [25] seconds your units become mile-second/ hours.....not a standard set of units....so much better to convert the right hand side to either hours, seconds, or whatever....

Note also the unit 'Hertz' [and seconds] has some confusion associated with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_per_second

[I wasn't even aware of this supposed confusion til I just checked. ]

15. Oct 13, 2013 #14

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

We could define a new unit of energy: 1 bobie = 4.135 x 10-15 eV = 6.626 x 10-34 J. Give it the symbol 'B'. (Or is there another unit with that symbol? I forget...)

Then Planck's constant would be 1 B.s, and a photon with frequency 2.418 x 1014 Hz would have an energy of 2.418 x 1014 B.

16. Oct 14, 2013 #15

bobie

Gold Member

Congrats, jtbell, you hit the nail on the very head!, thanks.
    That's exactly what I meant without aspiring to have a unit named after me.:redface:, that would make patent the relation of energy to a single oscillation (I posed a similar problem here :https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=712514 , it seemed to me that dimensions prevent seeing the forest because of the trees. There I discovered geometrized units and that dimensions are not indispensable).
    I have little (or no) experience and I still cannot see the subtle difference between 1B and 1 h/s.

Actually I cannot even grasp what a unit of energy can actually mean when multiplied by time.
    I understand that power (J/s ) is energy absorbed every second but J.s would correspond to distance ( as compared to velocity, right)?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  17. Oct 14, 2013 #16
    J.s is the unit for action (and also angular momentum).

18. Oct 15, 2013 #17

bobie

Gold Member

Can 2 different entities have the same dimensions?, what has h in common with angular momentum?

...if h indeed is a unit then it can be mixed with other units and we can use h/s?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  19. Oct 15, 2013 #18

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Stop it right now, mister! Stop saying that h is a unit, or I'm going to reach through the screen and give you a good spanking! :grumpy:
    It is most emphatically not. Nobody has ever said that. It's a constant and it's units are J*s.

h/s is mixing constants with units.
    Write J*s/s if you must, although it's obviously just J, if you want to write units. Or write h/T if you want equations. Don't write h/s. It's like writing a=V/s or F=kg*a.

20. Oct 15, 2013 #19

bobie

Gold Member

Why do you blame, me, bandersnatch,did you see that I was simply quoting Mr dauto:confused:, ?
    how can I possibly know who is right or wrong?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  21. Oct 15, 2013 #20

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Where, oh, where did he say h is a unit? All he said is that J*s is a unit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook