Free Particle in Quantum Mechanics Explained

In summary: The wave function can be represented many ways. One of these ways is over the spatial domain, but it can be also represented over the wave vector domain also known as momentum representation. Both representations are related via Fourier transformation. Wave vector and momenta are related: p = k * h. In the wave vector domain you can get the probability that the particle have certain momenta via Copenhagen interpretation P(k)=|ψ(k)|^2. Any way this is a matter explained on any quantum mechanics textbook. Thanks for the summary.
sciboudy
could anyone explain the free particle in Quantum mechanics?
when the potential is zero

Physics news on Phys.org
This subject occupies an entire chapter (or even more) in most quantum mechanics textbooks. I suggest that you ask specific questions.

okay I'm using grifth

in the page 45 he transform the forlmla of ψ as function of x "or he intgrate to X "

but the solution was no normalize so he transform it to κ and intfrate to κ dκ how?

and what k represent ?

sciboudy said:
and what k represent ?

Wave vector.

okay why we transform to it ??

Read it, it’s in Griffiths book. You cannot normalize wave function of a free particle unless you do transform to integral over the continuous variable, which is k.

Psi^2 said:
Read it, it’s in Griffiths book. You cannot normalize wave function of a free particle unless you do transform to integral over the continuous variable, which is k.

why he choose to ingrate to K ? specially ?? how did he transform it to K ?

i want understand how is we find it's equation and describe it's change in the wave packet

The wave function can be represented many ways. One of these ways is over the spatial domain, but it can be also represented over the wave vector domain also known as momentum representation. Both representations are related via Fourier transformation.
Wave vector and momenta are related: p = k * h. In the wave vector domain you can get the probability that the particle have certain momenta via Copenhagen interpretation P(k)=|ψ(k)|^2. Any way this is a matter explained on any quantum mechanics textbook.

Sergio

SergioPL said:
The wave function can be represented many ways. One of these ways is over the spatial domain, but it can be also represented over the wave vector domain also known as momentum representation. Both representations are related via Fourier transformation.
Wave vector and momenta are related: p = k * h. In the wave vector domain you can get the probability that the particle have certain momenta via Copenhagen interpretation P(k)=|ψ(k)|^2. Any way this is a matter explained on any quantum mechanics textbook.

Sergio

thank you very much you made it easy :D
i got it
but i want to know how is the probability denisty of finding particle in the wave function increase ?

and what you mean by Energy is not quantized for a free particle. and how you got this ?

sciboudy said:
and what you mean by Energy is not quantized for a free particle. and how you got this ?

You simply solve Schrodinger equation for free particle, and look at the result. No boundary conditions, no quantization ;)

The basic idea is that if you have a free particle, it cannot exist in a energy-momentum eigenstate because those eigenstates are un-normalizable. Additionally, experimentally speaking, knowing the momentum of this particle perfectly well means not knowing the position of this particle at all, which means you can't really measure this particle since you don't know where to measure.

Therefore, the particle must exist in some linear superposition of eigenstates. Because the eigenstates are a complete set of states, one can always do this, just like for any other problem.

The difference in this situation from the situation in e.g. the particle in a box, is that the energy-momentum eigenstates are a continuum of states rather than discrete states. Therefore, a linear superposition is an integral and not a sum over states. Specifically, this integral is a Fourier integral because the eigenstates are the Fourier factor e^ikx.

Hi there, related to this topic, a free particle spin is something that can take a discrete range of values, as it happens with electromagnetic o colour charge. However the other important observable, impulse, can take a continum range of values. This seems suspicious to me since nature seems to be formed by a finite (inmense, but finite) number of mathematical objects. Isnt out there any model or research where it is supposed that impulse is also a discrete observable? perhaps lattice quantum mechanics or something like that?

Thanks!

sciboudy said:
could anyone explain the free particle in Quantum mechanics?
when the potential is zero

I think it does not exist.

zhangyang said:
I think it does not exist.

I agree.

Psi^2 said:
I agree.
why you agree

sciboudy said:
why you agree

Because it is approximation. In realty, there is no such a thing as a free particle.

the_pulp said:
Hi there, related to this topic, a free particle spin is something that can take a discrete range of values, as it happens with electromagnetic o colour charge. However the other important observable, impulse, can take a continum range of values. This seems suspicious to me since nature seems to be formed by a finite (inmense, but finite) number of mathematical objects. Isnt out there any model or research where it is supposed that impulse is also a discrete observable? perhaps lattice quantum mechanics or something like that?

Thanks!

Hello! That's a very interesting matter, but I don't know of any physical model that works on discrete time, space, momentum and energy. As is well known, these variables cannot be perfectly measured by the indeterminacy principia, but they move on the continuum of real numbers.

What is a free particle in quantum mechanics?

A free particle in quantum mechanics refers to a particle that does not experience any external forces or interactions. It is described by the Schrodinger equation and behaves according to the principles of quantum mechanics.

How is a free particle described in quantum mechanics?

A free particle is described by a wave function, which gives information about the probability of the particle's position and momentum. The wave function evolves over time according to the Schrodinger equation.

What is the uncertainty principle for a free particle?

The uncertainty principle for a free particle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics.

How does the energy of a free particle relate to its momentum?

In quantum mechanics, the energy of a free particle is directly proportional to its momentum. This relationship is described by the de Broglie relation, which states that the wavelength of a particle is inversely proportional to its momentum.

What are the implications of quantum mechanics for free particles?

Quantum mechanics has shown that particles behave differently on a microscopic scale compared to a macroscopic scale. This means that the behavior of free particles is inherently probabilistic and cannot be predicted with certainty, only with a certain probability.