What is the function of glycocalyx in cell attachment?

In summary, the glycocalyx is a fuzzy coating on the external surface of animal epithelial cells made up of carbohydrates from membrane glycolipids and glycoproteins. This coating helps with cell-cell recognition, communication, and adhesion.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hello,
In my physiology book it is said that the glycocalyx helps attach the cells together. I know that glycocalyx is carbohydrates + proteins or lipids, but I don't understand the mechanism by which the glycocalyx attach cells together, and google searches don't help.

So I would appreciate it if someone helped me.

Thanks in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
wikipedia sez:

Most animal epithelial cells have a fuzz-like coat on the external surface of their plasma membranes. This coating consists of several carbohydrate moieties of membrane glycolipids and glycoproteins, which serve as backbone molecules for support. Generally, the carbohydrate portion of the glycolipids found on the surface of plasma membranes helps these molecules contribute to cell-cell recognition, communication, and intercellular adhesion.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad

1. What is the glycocalyx and what is its function?

The glycocalyx is a layer of carbohydrates that covers the surface of cells. Its main function is to protect the cell and help it interact with its environment.

2. How is the glycocalyx formed?

The glycocalyx is formed by the attachment of carbohydrates to lipids or proteins on the cell's membrane. This process is known as glycosylation.

3. What are the different functions of the glycocalyx?

Besides protection and cell-environment interaction, the glycocalyx also plays a role in cell signaling, immune response, and cell adhesion.

4. How does the glycocalyx contribute to diseases?

Changes in the composition or thickness of the glycocalyx have been associated with various diseases, including cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.

5. Can the glycocalyx be targeted for therapeutic purposes?

Yes, researchers are exploring ways to target the glycocalyx for therapeutic purposes, such as developing drugs that can disrupt the glycocalyx of cancer cells or enhance the immune response by targeting specific glycocalyx components.