The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about the validity of an argument regarding the fundamental theorem of calculus. The argument suggests that an infinitesimal of the whole formed by summing up infinitesimals of a certain form must be an infinitesimal of the same form. However, this argument is not valid as there is no reason for the integral of an arbitrary function to be differentiable. The conversation also discusses the concept of 'd' as an infinitesimal and its relationship to the integral. However, this view is not supported by the rest of mathematics. The integration process involves taking the limit of a Riemann sum rather than summing up infinitesimals.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Id like to know if the following argument is valid.
Take an arbitrary function [tex]f(x)[/tex]. [tex]f(x)dx[/tex] can be thought of an infinitesimal area of a certain form (I emphasise this because I use it later in the argument) determined by the form of the function [tex]f(x)[/tex]. Let's denote its integral by [tex]Y[/tex].

[tex]\int{ f(x)} dx = Y[/tex]

Now, I argue that an infinitesimal of the whole formed by summing up infinitesimals of a certain form must be an infinitesimal of the same form. ie,

[tex] d\int{ f(x)} dx = f(x)dx[/tex]

Then the fundamental theorem of calculus follows.

[tex] f(x) dx = dY [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = \frac{dY}{dx} [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = \frac{d}{dx}\int{ f(x)} dx[/tex]

If this argument is valid. Can it be made rigorous?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not valid. If f is arbitary there is no reason for its integral to be differentiable, and indeed trivial examples prove this.

But I am not differentiating it. I am just saying that I am taking an infinitesimal part of [tex]Y[/tex]. Any way, let's say both f(x) and its integral are differentiable. Then is it valid?

EDIT : even if it is not completely valid, is it atleast an argument that suggests the fundamental theorem of calculus? I am talking about his particular statement.

"Now, I argue that an infinitesimal of the whole formed by summing up infinitesimals of a certain form must be an infinitesimal of the same form."

Is it ok to think this way, or is there something really really wrong with the way I understand it?

Last edited:
dx said:
But I am not differentiating it.

By it we are referring to the integral, and you are definitely differentiating that.

As for the rest, I struggle to decipher the words that have necessary meaning mathematically.

Im trying to say that when you concatenate a 'd' on the left side of some quantity, you are making it an infinitesimal. So, we have an integral which is summing up infinitesimal quantities. So, in a way, the integral in made up of infinitesimals of a certain form ([tex]x^{2}dx[/tex],or [tex]e^{x}dx[/tex] etc.) When you concatenate a d to the integral, you are undoing the summing up and getting back the infinitesimal that you originally summed up. so [tex] d\int{f(x)}dx = f(x)dx [/tex].

dx said:
Im trying to say that when you concatenate a 'd' on the left side of some quantity, you are making it an infinitesimal.

you might be, I'm not sure the rest of mathematics would support that view in the way you wish it to.
So, we have an integral which is summing up infinitesimal quantities.

no, we don't, not really, you're conflating an analogy with the actual thing itself

So, in a way, the integral in made up of infinitesimals of a certain form

again, no it isn't.

([tex]x^{2}dx[/tex],or [tex]e^{x}dx[/tex] etc.) When you concatenate a d to the integral, you are undoing the summing up and getting back the infinitesimal that you originally summed up.

no you're not.

Let's say that f(x) is Riemann integrable, ok? EDIT: In some interval (a,b)

You take the limit of a Riemann sum to obtain its integral, with all that this implies, not by summing up 'infinitesimals of certain form'.

Last edited:
ok, thanks.

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that establishes the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the area under the curve of its derivative over that interval is equal to the original function evaluated at the endpoints of the interval. In simpler terms, it shows that integration is the reverse process of differentiation.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to calculate the total change in a quantity over a continuous interval, which is useful in finding the distance traveled by an object, the total cost of production, or the overall change in a population. It also plays a crucial role in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

3. What are the two parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is divided into two parts: the first part, also known as the first Fundamental Theorem, states the relationship between differentiation and integration, while the second part, also known as the second Fundamental Theorem, provides a method for evaluating definite integrals using antiderivatives. Both parts are essential in understanding and applying the concept of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be used for all functions?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus only applies to functions that are continuous on a closed interval. If a function is discontinuous or has infinite discontinuities on the interval, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus cannot be used. However, there are other methods for evaluating integrals in these cases, such as the Residue Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Theorem.

5. Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus considered fundamental?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is considered fundamental because it is one of the most important and powerful concepts in calculus. It provides a bridge between two fundamental operations in calculus, differentiation and integration, and allows us to solve a wide variety of problems in mathematics and other fields. It is also the basis for many other important theorems and concepts in calculus, making it a crucial foundation for further study in the subject.