Unpacking the GANNON Guffaw: White House Press Plant Busted

• News
  • Thread starter polyb
  • Start date
In summary: What I'm more concerned about is the fact that someone may have been giving out false information, and that's just not right."In summary, the Republican congressman from Louisiana says that he's more concerned about the fact that someone may have been giving out false information than the fact that someone may have been getting into the White House briefing room.
polyb
Well in the world of poly-ticks and power, things are getting stranger by the minute! The WhiteHouse press plant has been busted wide open and not one mention here. Maybe it is just too 'funny'(ooh, not to pun)! :rofl:

Here is a quote from the blog:
So in the end, why does this matter? Why does it matter that Jeff Gannon may have been a gay hooker named James Guckert with a $20,000 defaulted court judgment against him? So he somehow got a job lobbing softball questions to the White House. Big deal. If he was already a prostitute, why not be one in the White House briefing room as well?
That is from:
http://americablog.blogspot.com

The whole write up on the background of Gannon is there, but there are some pictures that some may find offensive(the naughty parts have been edited out though!).

I guess they have managed to take the new word 'presstitute' to new heights! :rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A pundit here, a pundit there, a pundit everywhere...

polyb said:
Well in the world of poly-ticks and power, things are getting stranger by the minute! The WhiteHouse press plant has been busted wide open and not one mention here. Maybe it is just too 'funny'(ooh, not to pun)! :rofl:

From the ADA web site: "OUTRAGE: YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK
First came the news that conservative commentator Armstrong Williams had been paid $241,000 by the Education Department to promote the Bush Administration's "No Child Left Behind" program. Now, we learn that the equally conservative columnist Maggie Gallagher received $21,500 from the Department of Health and Human Services to flack for the President's initiative to strengthen marriage.

Is this the way you want your tax dollars spent at a time of burgeoning Federal deficits?"

Removal of a free press acting as watchdog and important "check and balance" in a true democracy -- Americans outraged? Apparently not. Not any more than being lied to about invading Iraq, and the way tax dollars are being spent on wars at a time of burgeoning Federal Deficits. We'll see if anyone gets upset about the new lies regarding Social Security...? :eek:

Is there any truth to the rumor that we all ultimately get the government that we deserve??
I have come to realize that The US really is a country of conservatives.

polyb said:
Well in the world of poly-ticks and power, things are getting stranger by the minute! The WhiteHouse press plant has been busted wide open and not one mention here.

Late-breaking news! In Brussels Bush said that “we must always remind Russia that our alliance stands for a free press, a vital opposition, the sharing of power and the rule of law. The United States should place democratic reform at the heart of their dialogue with Russia.”

Wow, I guess I've been wrong, and that Bush is AGAINST a fascist (Webster: “belligerent nationalism and militarism”) and totalitarian Webster: “one political group maintains complete control”) system of government.

Per MSNBC, [Bush's speech in Brussels] "was greeted mostly by subdued applause from the audience of business leaders, academics and diplomats." To those of you in Europe, thank you for doing what Americans don't seem to be able to do themselves--show dissent.

His speech was decribed as a "schmooze" on the BBC news report I heard. On the website it says:
"Bush made some effort to accommodate European sensitivities - principally over the Middle East - but his main aim was to present his own agenda, by inviting Europeans to join him in the "hard work of advancing freedom and peace in the world.""
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4284785.stm
Advancing peace and freedom; don't you just love it? Just as well we Europeans enjoy irony. I reckon the old guy is on the recruiting trail. You can't invade Iran with a bunch of robots.

"Before they dined together Monday night, Bush and Chirac joked with reporters. "I'm looking for a good cowboy," Bush replied, when asked whether Chirac would be invited to his Texas ranch". Yee-haw :rolleyes:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1108985790607_71/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush is an idiot.. that's all I can say on the matter. These neocons are so incompetent, can't even cover up something as simple as this. I could be a better dictator than these morons. (At least I got above D- in English in Highschool)

I was watching this Republican congressman from (I believe) Louisianna on the MSNBC show "Connected Coast to Coast", and Ron Reagan asked him something to the order of "So, since you're sure that the White House wasn't in any way in league with Gannon, doesn't it disturb you that in this age of terrorism, someone could give a fake name, fake credentials, and get into the White House briefing room, within lunging distance of the President?"

The Congressman played it cool, and responded with something to the degree of "Look, getting into the White House isn't hard, all you do is show some ID and a Social Security number. By not running people through all kinds of tests, we're letting more people into the White House to ask the President questions. If we had all kinds of screening procedures, that would keep more people out, and limit dialouge. You don't want to stifle dialouge, do you?

God I love America :rofl:

:rolleyes: I suppose if one is detached enough, the next four years can only get funnier and funnier. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Polly said:
:rolleyes: I suppose if one is detached enough, the next four years can only get funnier and funnier. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah, but they'll have to come up with new tricks, this is the already the fifth phony reporter tied to this administration (unless I missed some along the way), after about 7 or 8 it'll start getting old.

Last edited:
the number 42 said:
"Before they dined together Monday night, Bush and Chirac joked with reporters. "I'm looking for a good cowboy," Bush replied, when asked whether Chirac would be invited to his Texas ranch". Yee-haw :rolleyes:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1108985790607_71/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

A real cowboy? Or one with a privileged background who just wears the hat and boots--and talks with a twang--well in certain circles? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
wasteofo2 said:
Yeah, but they'll have to come up with new tricks, this is the already the fifth phony reporter tied to this administration (unless I missed some along the way), after about 7 or 8 it'll start getting old.

You are giving too much credit. First of all, people don't even know this is going on. If it was reported in the sports pages, or if Desperate Housewives could be interrupted...Okay, if FOX News actually reported it, I think these people still wouldn't care. Because these people don't believe in the media because it's liberal--last they heard--and they don't know anything about the importance of watchdogs (free press) in a democracy. They skipped school that day.

1. What is the GANNON Guffaw and why is it significant?

The GANNON Guffaw refers to a scandal involving a journalist named Jeff Gannon who was given press credentials by the White House without proper background checks. This raised concerns about the White House's use of planted reporters to ask favorable questions during press briefings.

2. How was Jeff Gannon able to obtain press credentials from the White House?

It was discovered that Jeff Gannon used a fake name and credentials to gain access to the White House press briefings. He was able to pass through the security clearance process without proper vetting, leading to questions about the White House's screening process for journalists.

3. What evidence was found to support the claim of a planted reporter in the White House?

Several instances were documented where Jeff Gannon was given preferential treatment during press briefings, including being called on more frequently and asking softball questions. Additionally, it was revealed that Gannon had close ties to Republican officials and had previously worked for a conservative website.

4. How did the White House respond to the allegations of a planted reporter?

The White House denied any involvement in the GANNON Guffaw and claimed they were not aware of Gannon's true identity or background. They also stated that they had no control over the questions asked by reporters during press briefings.

5. What measures were taken to prevent similar incidents in the future?

After the GANNON Guffaw scandal, the White House implemented stricter security measures for granting press credentials. They also announced that they would no longer allow reporters to use pseudonyms and would require more thorough background checks for all journalists covering the White House.