Gorlov Turbine: Alexander's Marvelous Machine

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, Alexander Gorlov, a 73-year-old mechanical engineering professor, has spent a decade redesigning the turbine in his Hydro-Pneumatic Power Laboratory at Northeastern University in Boston. His innovation, the Gorlov Helical Turbine, is an oversize beater-like device that has the potential to revolutionize hydroelectric power and alleviate the worldwide energy crisis. It has received recognition and awards for its efficiency and environmental benefits. However, questions have been raised about its safety and potential impact on the environment. Overall, it has shown great promise in providing renewable energy in remote areas and reducing the negative effects of traditional hydro-power devices.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Alexander's Marvelous Machine
http://www.nrdc.org/onearth/05spr/gorlov1.asp

by Jill Davis
It looks like an oversize eggbeater, but Professor Gorlov thinks his turbine can change the world.

It seems impossible that anything of technological significance could emerge from the basement of Richards Hall, the engineering building of Northeastern University in Boston. It is a haphazard warren, home to discarded office chairs, old lockers, and unclaimed pencils, all covered in a coat of fine gray dust. But it is also the home of the Hydro-Pneumatic Power Laboratory, where a 73-year-old Russian-born mechanical engineering professor named Alexander Gorlov spent a decade redesigning one of the world's oldest and simplest machines, the turbine.

Smiling, Gorlov walks over to a cluttered corner of the lab and wheels out a gurney. Strapped to it is an object that looks remarkably like an oversize beater from an old hand-held mixer. Still, this is it, the Gorlov Helical Turbine, which may someday help turn hydroelectric power into one of the most important and environmentally benign renewable energy sources on the planet. Gorlov's turbine received the 2001 Thomas A. Edison Patent Award, given each year by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, which hailed its potential "to alleviate the world-wide crisis in energy."

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002383.html
http://www.gcktechnology.com/GCK/articles_CSM.html
http://www.gcktechnology.com/GCK/pg2.html

I've seen similar technology adapted for windmills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Forgive me for saying so, but what's the big deal? Unless this is significantly more efficient than current hydro-power devices, then why all the hooplah? And there has been an endless refinement of hydro turbines since they have been invented, trying to squeeze out a bit more efficiency. Is there something fundamentally different here, because I must have missed it.

jasc15 said:
Forgive me for saying so, but what's the big deal? Unless this is significantly more efficient than current hydro-power devices, then why all the hooplah? And there has been an endless refinement of hydro turbines since they have been invented, trying to squeeze out a bit more efficiency. Is there something fundamentally different here, because I must have missed it.

I concur. I don't really see anything news worthy going on here either.

I don't know much about hydro-power devices but this seems like it has a lot of potential compared to dams. Much smaller environmental impact and cheaper. The fact that it is small and modular means it can be put in remote places without access to other forms of electricity.

I think they should look into to building some kind of frame to act as a barrier to wildlife and debris and to make it sturdy in the event of storms. Although any kind of screen or mesh would reduce the amount of energy it could recover.

There are two issues I have this. They claim that it rotates at twice the velocity of the current. Does this make it more efficient? Because otherwise it just makes it more dangerous. I think a larger slower rotating turbine would be safer.

Also, they claim it is environmentally benign because there are not emissions but have there been studies to see what other effects this kind of technology could have. It is extracting energy from the flow (river, ocean current) so couldn't this conceivably have some impact on the environment?

Interesting, thanks.

Related to Gorlov Turbine: Alexander's Marvelous Machine

1. What is a Gorlov Turbine?

A Gorlov Turbine, also known as a helical turbine or a twisty turbine, is a type of water turbine that is designed to be more efficient and compact than traditional turbines.

2. Who invented the Gorlov Turbine?

The Gorlov Turbine was invented by Russian engineer Alexander Gorlov in the early 1990s. It is also known as "Alexander's Marvelous Machine" in honor of its creator.

3. How does the Gorlov Turbine work?

The Gorlov Turbine uses a unique helical blade design to capture the kinetic energy of water flow and convert it into rotational energy. The helical blades are curved in a spiral shape, which allows them to efficiently harness energy from both the pressure and drag of the water flow.

4. What are the advantages of using a Gorlov Turbine?

The Gorlov Turbine has several advantages over traditional turbines, including its compact size, high efficiency, and ability to operate in low water velocities. It is also more environmentally friendly and has a lower impact on marine life compared to other types of turbines.

5. Where can Gorlov Turbines be used?

Gorlov Turbines can be used in a variety of settings, including rivers, tidal streams, and canals. They are also suitable for use in remote or off-grid locations, as they require minimal maintenance and can generate electricity from low water velocities.