The greatest taboo

Main Question or Discussion Point

Of all taboo violations, which is the greatest - making them public?

Answers and Replies

Going against the mob, whatever the subject is.

random killings

At my job on a mental health phoneline, I have talked to several people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). They commonly speak of being victims of ritualistic and incessant torture - physical, sexual and emotional - by their parents or guardians from an early age.

If anyone watches Full Metal Alchemist, the anime series... The greatest taboo is Human transmutation! :)

I think raping a dead dog in public which has had all of it's hair and skin removed would be pretty high up there.

That is the SICKEST thing I have ever heard, and I have just had lunch.

jimmy p
Gold Member
wasteofo2 wins!! :biggrin:

Tsu
Gold Member
Loren Booda said:
At my job on a mental health phoneline, I have talked to several people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). They commonly speak of being victims of ritualistic and incessant torture - physical, sexual and emotional - by their parents or guardians from an early age.
I know a woman with this disorder. The acts that have been committed to induce this are certainly at the top of my list of 'greatest taboos'. I can't think of much worse.

wasteofo2 said:
I think raping a dead dog in public which has had all of it's hair and skin removed would be pretty high up there.
that's not taboo, it's just gross. taboo would be having sex with a live dog in private.

1 : a prohibition against touching, saying, or doing something for fear of immediate harm from a supernatural force
2 : a prohibition imposed by social custom or as a protective measure

1 : forbidden to profane use or contact because of what are held to be dangerous supernatural powers
2 a : banned on grounds of morality or taste <the subject is taboo> b : banned as constituting a risk <the area beyond is taboo, still alive with explosives -- Robert Leckie>

Those are from www.webster.com

It seems that no one really uses it in the sense of avoiding it for fear of dark magica anymore, and that it just means something society looks down on as in poor taste.

pig
Killing your own child would be pretty bad. Unless he or she deserved it, for being annoying / not eating the vegetables, etc.

Last edited:
Robert Zaleski
Not burping after eating a meal at a Chinese restaurant.
Picking your teeth at a four star restaurant.
Forgetting to burp and pick your teeth at Mickey D's'

Last edited by a moderator:
Killing your own child is not universally taboo. In any culture, any time or place, the greatest taboo is simply going against what is accepted. The act of going against what is accepted can take nay number of forms, but essentially it al boils down to numbers, being the one who does what the masses do not. And since we know that numbers do not make a thing right or wrong, it's rather silly to base what we consider acceptable or unacceptable on that.

Adam said:
Killing your own child is not universally taboo. In any culture, any time or place, the greatest taboo is simply going against what is accepted. The act of going against what is accepted can take nay number of forms, but essentially it al boils down to numbers, being the one who does what the masses do not. And since we know that numbers do not make a thing right or wrong, it's rather silly to base what we consider acceptable or unacceptable on that.
So I can have sex with my poodle?

Sure, unless something is preventing you.

jimmy p
Gold Member
LOL tribdog, I wouldnt try it with a poodle, dalmations put up more of a fight.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
how about masturbation? although i am unsure of how other cultures view it...

Female garmet workers of the late 19th century would dispel boredom by rubbing their hips to orgasm while operating a sewing-machine treadle.

At about the same time, the vibrator was the 5th most commonly sold machine, mostly to women as a relief to "hysteria."

In long-term institutions, subtle masturbation by residents is quietly accepted by the staff.

Loren Booda, that reminds me uncomfortably of something about the navy... o_O

Kerrie said:
how about masturbation?
Sure! Love some.

i think willingly fellating your own father as he orally pleasures your potbelly pig would be at the top of the list