Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The greatest taboo

1. Apr 22, 2004 #1
    Of all taboo violations, which is the greatest - making them public?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2
    Going against the mob, whatever the subject is.

4. Apr 25, 2004 #3
    random killings

5. Apr 25, 2004 #4
    At my job on a mental health phoneline, I have talked to several people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). They commonly speak of being victims of ritualistic and incessant torture - physical, sexual and emotional - by their parents or guardians from an early age.

6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    If anyone watches Full Metal Alchemist, the anime series... The greatest taboo is Human transmutation! :)

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    I think raping a dead dog in public which has had all of it's hair and skin removed would be pretty high up there.

8. Apr 26, 2004 #7
    That is the SICKEST thing I have ever heard, and I have just had lunch.

9. Apr 26, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

wasteofo2 wins!! :biggrin:

10. Apr 26, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

I know a woman with this disorder. The acts that have been committed to induce this are certainly at the top of my list of 'greatest taboos'. I can't think of much worse.

11. Apr 26, 2004 #10
    that's not taboo, it's just gross. taboo would be having sex with a live dog in private.

12. Apr 26, 2004 #11
    1 : a prohibition against touching, saying, or doing something for fear of immediate harm from a supernatural force
    2 : a prohibition imposed by social custom or as a protective measure

1 : forbidden to profane use or contact because of what are held to be dangerous supernatural powers
    2 a : banned on grounds of morality or taste <the subject is taboo> b : banned as constituting a risk <the area beyond is taboo, still alive with explosives -- Robert Leckie>

Those are from www.webster.com

It seems that no one really uses it in the sense of avoiding it for fear of dark magica anymore, and that it just means something society looks down on as in poor taste.

13. Apr 26, 2004 #12

pig

Killing your own child would be pretty bad. Unless he or she deserved it, for being annoying / not eating the vegetables, etc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  14. Apr 26, 2004 #13
    Not burping after eating a meal at a Chinese restaurant.
    Picking your teeth at a four star restaurant.
    Forgetting to burp and pick your teeth at Mickey D's'

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  15. Apr 26, 2004 #14
    Killing your own child is not universally taboo. In any culture, any time or place, the greatest taboo is simply going against what is accepted. The act of going against what is accepted can take nay number of forms, but essentially it al boils down to numbers, being the one who does what the masses do not. And since we know that numbers do not make a thing right or wrong, it's rather silly to base what we consider acceptable or unacceptable on that.

16. Apr 27, 2004 #15
    So I can have sex with my poodle?

17. Apr 27, 2004 #16
    Sure, unless something is preventing you.

18. Apr 27, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL tribdog, I wouldnt try it with a poodle, dalmations put up more of a fight.

19. Apr 27, 2004 #18

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

how about masturbation? although i am unsure of how other cultures view it...

20. Apr 27, 2004 #19
    Female garmet workers of the late 19th century would dispel boredom by rubbing their hips to orgasm while operating a sewing-machine treadle.

At about the same time, the vibrator was the 5th most commonly sold machine, mostly to women as a relief to "hysteria."

In long-term institutions, subtle masturbation by residents is quietly accepted by the staff.

21. Apr 27, 2004 #20
    Loren Booda, that reminds me uncomfortably of something about the navy... o_O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?