The history of the home water filter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
qnach
Messages
155
Reaction score
4
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family. I am wondering who designed such systems (and become its standard form used today) ? I think after second world war the New York water is pretty dirty hence the development of such filter. But I am not sure whether it is correct or not.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
qnach said:
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family.
That has not been my experience. Is that just your opinion or do you have evidence for it?
 
I think the use of filters varies much around the world depending on the municipal water system. Some systems do a better job than others.

There are also many kinds of filters, with different purposes. Some filter out particles. Some bad odors. Some bad tastes.

Some people like the mineral taste in their water. Other people don't like it. If you taste relatively pure distilled water, many people don't like it.

So we really can't answer your question unless you give more specifics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137
qnach said:
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family. I am wondering who designed such systems (and become its standard form used today) ? I think after second world war the New York water is pretty dirty hence the development of such filter. But I am not sure whether it is correct or not.
Unless you have a specific type of system in mind, making drinking water clean is something humans have been doing for many thousands of years, and likely since the dawn of civilization. It's likely one of the fundamental development enablers right up there in importance to discovering fire and wearing the skins of dead animals.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: anorlunda
The Phoenicians used charcoal to purify drinking water on their ships at least as far back as 400 B.C.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
The current Wikipedia article on "Ceramic water filter" says
Henry Doulton invented the modern form of ceramic candle sanitary water filter in 1827. In 1835, Queen Victoria commissioned him to produce such a device for her personal use. By 1846, Doulton ceramics was widely recognized as a premier manufacturer of an effective prevention device for treating infective water. In 1887, Doulton was knighted, in part for his work with water filters.

It would interesting to know the history of residential water filters that are attached directly to the pipes in a house.