The home build thread the Dagmar

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Post any thing you want to build but have not time/resources to do so,

I want to build a three wheeled electric powered car, i have ideas to make it a practical home build project, first the body will be a monoquoc made from ply wood, the front suspension will be a (unit) that bolts to the body, and the rear suspension/ drive will be a (unit) that bolts to the body, the motor, motor controller and batteries are all ready sorted ,as much as possible i want to use parts salvaged from other vehicles.
    A range of 50 miles and 50 MPH would be a base line for performance, any thing over would be a bonus, carrying two people with room for shopping.
    Road legal? well i have to look into that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2
    I think someone else already did that wolram...
    http://www.bugev.net/

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Jeez... too many to mention. I guess that the hovercraft and the nasty rebuild for the Roadrunner would be tied for second place. First would be my underground home.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Sinclair C5 lives ......

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

That is far to high tec, the idea is to create plans for an electric car that could be put together in ones garage in a couple of weeks, i have the basic ideas, the body would go together like a pre formed aeroplane kit.

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6
  8. Jul 2, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

9. Jul 2, 2008 #8
    How much is a WarP motor? I figured if you were able to salvage a motor out a similar forklift and considering your chassis will be lighter, you should be able to hit the 50mph speed mark. Theirs was 40mph with a heavier chassis than you plan on using.

What are the road laws like in your area?

10. Jul 2, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A timber framed house. Here's a picture of just the frame:

[​IMG]

:!!)

11. Jul 2, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Is it an optical illusion or are some of those timbers off vertical.

12. Jul 2, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Good point, i will reconsider, as for the law i need to look in to it.

13. Jul 2, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey now! You're knocking my dream here!

Actually, I had to re-size the picture several times...could that have warped it a bit?

14. Jul 2, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

May be drooling over the photo warped the timbers.

It is a cool looking start.

15. Jul 2, 2008 #14
    I've been dying to build a radio telescope in the backyard using a 12 foot dish as an antenna for long time now. Something simple at first, it would consist of a homebrew hydrogen line receiver at 1.4 GHz to study traces of hydrogen in space. Later I could upgrade it to receive other frequencies.

I've also wanted to build a particle accelerator. Something up to 5 MeV to smash protons into targets. I've actually attempted to build one using a hand held vacuum pump and a cheap high voltage power supply, but the highest energy attained was less than 20 KeV, but it was enough to excite green glowing phosphorus.

Other projects I have in mind is to build a millimeter wave transmitter in 100 GHz range, but that's pushing it.

16. Jul 2, 2008 #15
    I want to build a Hobbit Hole someday. I'll use 11 foot concrete tubes. Which would give 3 feet of crawl space and a standard 8 foot ceiling.

I'd also like to make a hovercraft. I'd use a very large innertube, a lawnmower engine, and a few pieces of plywood.

17. Jul 2, 2008 #16
    I want to build a guitar amp, a bass amp, an electronic drum set, and a PA into a car or van. The drums will be in the passenger seat. One other way to do it would be to just have a computer built in with an audio interface including 2 line ins for the E drum module, two instrument pres, and a mic pre. Then all the sound through one speaker and amp system. That way I could run it through pro tools, and even use VST plugins to shape the sounds of each instrument, and It would also be a recording studio.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  18. Jul 2, 2008 #17
    I also want to build a lab and room to grow mushrooms, and to do plant tissue culture in.

19. Jul 2, 2008 #18
    Lisab, do you notice your the only woman in here? LOL, but thats alright, I think you once said that you wanted to make a hobbit hole as well?

20. Jul 3, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm used to it - I'm the only woman at my work, too :smile:.

Yes, I love the hobbit hole idea! One of my ideas is to build a house that has rooms that transition from totally underground to completely outside.

I don't know why but I have obsessions about homes. Timber frame, post and beam, all kinds of construction...and I really like unusual interiors, beyond the traditional family room - kitchen - dining room layout. Is it any wonder I work testing building materials?!? In my job I get to see a lot of new and/or experimental construction. Most won't make it to the marketplace. but there's a lot of inovation going on - very cool to see.

21. Jul 5, 2008 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My dream project is rather modest, to build a solar water heater.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?