The largest number, does it end in 0 or 9?

• B
  • Thread starter Orson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a largest number and whether it ends in 9 or 0. The participants debate the validity of different methods for determining the largest number and whether it is possible to define a largest number at all. Ultimately, the conversation leads to the conclusion that the concept of a largest number is subjective and dependent on context. It also touches on the use of divisibility and ordering in number theory.
Orson
Does the largest number end in 9 or 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that there is no largest number.

Likes jack action
Orson said:
There is no largest number.

Orson said:
Now stop and think about this. Let's say the largest number is N. What happens when you add 1 to it?

Likes Orson
Perhaps it depends on the context.

I remember when I was much younger, I was frequently in a situation where the largest number was 32767.

diogenesNY

Likes WWGD
diogenesNY said:
Perhaps it depends on the context.

I remember when I was much younger, I was frequently in a situation where the largest number was 32767.

diogenesNY
I remember it well.

The largest number - if it is defined - ends in 0 (actually, it is 0).
Reference: http://planetmath.org/node/84824
And no, this is not a joke. It's just that ordering of numbers is not quite unique.
There is an algebraic ordering based on divisibility that says that ##a\le b \text{ if } a\mid b##.
That is, if a number divides another one, it cannot be greater.
And that puts 0 at the top.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159, mfb and Orson
I like Serena said:
The largest number - if it is defined - ends in 0 (actually, it is 0).
Reference: http://planetmath.org/node/84824
And no, this is not a joke. It's just that ordering of numbers is not quite unique.
That seems to be cheating. By equally valid logic, I could say that the last digit of the largest number is 3. Take the standard total ordering of the integers and adjust it so that 123 is larger than all others. Done.

jbriggs444 said:
That seems to be cheating. By equally valid logic, I could say that the last digit of the largest number is 3. Take the standard total ordering of the integers and adjust it so that 123 is larger than all others. Done.
Ordering based on divisibility has meaning and is used in number theory. It's not unusual that in specific scientific areas edge cases are defined slightly differently. And zero is definitely an edge case in algebraic structures.

Likes S.G. Janssens
If it ends in 9 , multiply it by 10, if it ends in 0, add 9... SORRY, please delete.

Likes Kumar8434
Orson said:
If it ends in 9 , multiply it by 10, if it ends in 0, add 9...

If it ends in 9, cut off a finger and start over.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
If it ends in 9 , multiply it by 10, if it ends in 0, add 9...
Rinse and repeat.

Likes WWGD
Oh, come on guys. Everybody knows that the largest number ends in the digits 42. I mean, where do you think Douglas Adams GOT the idea?

Likes FactChecker
phinds said:
Oh, come on guys. Everybody knows that the largest number ends in the digits 42. I mean, where do you think Douglas Adams GOT the idea?
This answer is as good as any answer.

With more details what number, large, larger, largest or even end mean, one could perhaps have taken this seriously. Without them, the integers or reals have to be assumed and this entire question is less meaningful than 42 is. The fact that the OP obviously has lost his interest leaves two questions:
  • Is he a troll?
  • Is this funny?
The first question has a 70 : 30 chance on a yes, and the second is a clear no. And I'm always ready for some poor, bad or lame jokes. This one is none. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman and phinds

Related to The largest number, does it end in 0 or 9?

1. What is the definition of the largest number?

The largest number is a theoretical concept that represents a quantity that is greater than any other number. In mathematics, it is denoted by the symbol ∞ (infinity). It is a concept and not a specific number, as no number can be considered the absolute largest.

2. Is there a largest number that ends in 0 or 9?

As mentioned before, the concept of the largest number is infinite and does not have a specific ending digit. However, in practical terms, the largest number in decimal form that ends in 0 or 9 is 9.999... with an infinite number of nines. This number is commonly referred to as the "largest possible number."

3. Can we keep adding 9s to the largest number?

No, we cannot keep adding 9s to the largest number. As mentioned before, the concept of the largest number is infinite, so there is no limit to how many 9s can be added. However, this number would always be considered less than infinity, as it is a finite number no matter how many 9s are added.

4. Is there a specific number that is considered the largest in real life?

No, there is no specific number that is considered the largest in real life. In practical terms, the largest number that is commonly used is the googolplex, which is equal to 10^(10^100). However, this number is still infinitely smaller than infinity and is only used in theoretical and mathematical discussions.

5. Can the largest number be reached or calculated?

No, the largest number cannot be reached or calculated. As mentioned before, it is a concept rather than a specific number, and it is impossible to reach or calculate infinity. In mathematics, infinity is used as a limit and cannot be reached or calculated in its exact form.