Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The line of best fit. Need help?

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    Well, i am taking a first course in elementary statistics, so we do not actually prove anything at all. So i was wonderign how does one determine the line of best fit?
    y=mx+b, where m is the slope of the line of best fit,
    I know that the slope is equal to

m=SS(xy)/SS(x), where SS(x) is the sum of square of x, while SS(xy) the sum of the squares of x,y. also

b=[SUM(y)-m*SUM(x)]/n but i have no idea how one would come up with these expressions.
    Can somebody show a proof for this, or just point me to the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The proof reqires a knowledge of elementary calculus. Basic idea is to assume a straight line fit with m and b unknown. Set up the expression for the sum of the squares of the distances of the points from the line. Find m and b which minimize the expression.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let μ and β be the least squares estimators of m and b in y = mx + b.

The estimated equation is then y[t] = β + μ x[t] + u[t] where u is the residual error and t indexes "data row" (e.g., observation).

u[t] = y[t] - (β + μ x[t])

u[t]^2 = (y[t] - (β + μ x[t]))^2

Sum over t:
    Σt u[t]^2 = Σt (y[t] - (β + μ x[t]))^2

Now minimize with respect to μ and β by differentiating Σt u[t]^2 with respect to μ and β separately, setting each derivative to zero, then solving for μ and β that satisfy these two equations simultaneously:

∂Σt u[t]^2/∂μ = ∂Σt u[t]^2/∂β = 0.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Thankyou for your replies! I totally forgot to let you know that i had managed to get to the result i wanted, my approach was almost identical with what u did, with the exception of notation, but i got to the result!

thnx both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?