Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    The longest crater chain, to date, was found on Mars.

[​IMG]

Lat: 64.203
    Lon: 10.921E

Thermal Emission Imaging System CGI Mars Map

To view the crater chain click on the CGI map and pan its length. This crater chain, one of two in this image, are the newer surface feature and cut across other craters. This crater chain spans down the cratered highlands an estimate of one third the distance from Mars northern pole to southern pole.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That second link has got to be one of the coolest web-pages I've ever seen!

Still, are you sure that's a crater chain and not just an artifact of the composite nature of the imaging system?

If it's running mostly N-S I'd pretty much guarantee that's what it is. Crater chains run E-W because the planet is turning underneath as the impacts come in.

4. Nov 9, 2004 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome back to PF, FieryIce.

I'm moving this topic to the skepticism forum because it is likely intended to be used as evidence of ET intelligence (as evidenced by the home page in the first link and based on past discussions on this topic).

5. Nov 9, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Though it didn't exactly leave craters, the impact trail of comet SL-9 was significantly longer than Mars.

edit: This mosaic stitching artifact is discussed in some detail HERE.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  6. Nov 9, 2004 #5

Evo

7. Nov 9, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow Evo! Good catch!!! I had forgotten all about this thread.

8. Nov 9, 2004 #7

Evo

Anytime someone posts a website saying these were formed by "atomic explosions or some other high energy explosive" set off on purpose by an alien intelligence, I tend to remember. It's a shame that the original posts were deleted by craterchains, they were a hoot. :rofl:

9. Nov 10, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only remember the ones set off by aliens, by accident. :tongue:

10. Nov 11, 2004 #9
    To stay on topic.

The beginning latitude/longitude is Lat: 73.781 Lon: 8.312E and the ending is Lat: 42.328 Lon: 18.249E.
    That means in length this crater chains stretches over 31.453 degrees latitude and angles 9.937 degrees in longitude, that is in Mars latitude and longitude distance.

Stitch lines could not configure itself into round craters shoulder to shoulder and show erosion.
    :D

11. Nov 11, 2004 #10

russ_watters

You took the explanation given at BA, flipped it around (to make it wrong), and re-presented it. The stiched lines would follow the contours of a crater, while a row of craterchains would not (there would be either more or less impacts in the sloped sides, not a consistent amount).

Also, the images, since they don't show craters, don't show erosions either.

In any case, this is all irrelevant to your main point (which you haven't made yet...) - even if these were crater chains, they would not be evidence of aliens - just like none of the other crater chains we've seen are evidence of aliens.

FieryIce, you are being willfully ignorant and deceptive. You said in your other thread (when you deleted your posts) that you wouldn't "play our game." Our game is called "science" and you must play it to post here.

12. Nov 12, 2004 #11
    No I have done no twisting, if anyone checks the thread at BA they will see the same wording, another nice thing with BA a poster can post the images for better clarification.

Email sent for confirmation as to if it is the longest.
    We never bothered to question if it was a topographical feature or not. It obviously is not a screw up with the picture.

Subject: Re: Longest pit / crater chain on Mars
    Date: Thu, November 11, 2004 9:50 am
    To: craterchains@craterchains.com

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it is or not.
    Phil C.

On Nov 10, 2004, at 7:00 AM, craterchains@craterchains.com wrote:

> Dr. Christensen
    > While looking for a Lat. Lon. location on the Mars map Ms. Gale
    > Smart, a
    > co-investigator, came across this image of a pit or crater chain that
    > we
    > think may be the longest one found on Mars, so far. If possible can
    > this
    > be confirmed?
    >
    > Sincerely
    > Mr. Norval L. Cunningham
    > Principal Investigator
    >

So consequently Dr. Phil Christensen is unsure if this crater chain is the longest or not.
    :smile:

13. Nov 12, 2004 #12

russ_watters

No offense, but it looks to me like he was blowing you off.

14. Nov 13, 2004 #13
    Well I have to admit a longer crater chain has been identified by Pete.

To quote his words:

Themis site again
    :smile:

15. Sep 16, 2006 #14
    FieryIce,
    Your Image seems to contain a third long line (Chain) that traverses from an intersection (Just below the image) with the right side line to a point where it leaves the image in the upper right hand corner. Is it faint but it is longer than the extent of the image.

http://www.craterchains.com/gales/mars_compose.jpg

16. Sep 16, 2006 #15

Evo

FieryIce hasn't posted here in 2 years.

I think you just won the award for necroposting. :biggrin:

17. Sep 18, 2006 #16
    Oh boy, an award! Does it come with a monetary award too???:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?