The Longest Crater Chain in Our Solar System, To-Date

In summary: It stretches over 31 degrees of latitude and 9 degrees of longitude. In summary, this crater chain is the longest so far found on Mars.
FieryIce
The longest crater chain, to date, was found on Mars.

http://www.craterchains.com/gales/mars_compose.jpg

Lat: 64.203
Lon: 10.921E

http://themis.asu.edu/mars-bin/mars_cgi_map.pl?TOP_LAT=69.828125&LEFT_LON=359.67094527&CENT_LAT=64.203125&CENT_LON=10.92094527&DISP_RES=32&DISP_DATASET=Visible&DISP_MAP_DATASET=1&DISP_MAP_PROJ=0&TNAIL_LINK=20041105a&PAN_SELECT_ZOOM=ZOOM&RESCALE=+64+

To view the crater chain click on the CGI map and pan its length. This crater chain, one of two in this image, are the newer surface feature and cut across other craters. This crater chain spans down the cratered highlands an estimate of one third the distance from Mars northern pole to southern pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That second link has got to be one of the coolest web-pages I've ever seen!

Still, are you sure that's a crater chain and not just an artifact of the composite nature of the imaging system?

If it's running mostly N-S I'd pretty much guarantee that's what it is. Crater chains run E-W because the planet is turning underneath as the impacts come in.

Welcome back to PF, FieryIce.

I'm moving this topic to the skepticism forum because it is likely intended to be used as evidence of ET intelligence (as evidenced by the home page in the first link and based on past discussions on this topic).

Though it didn't exactly leave craters, the impact trail of comet SL-9 was significantly longer than Mars.

edit: This mosaic stitching artifact is discussed in some detail http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17530 .

Wow Evo! Good catch! I had forgotten all about this thread.

Anytime someone posts a website saying these were formed by "atomic explosions or some other high energy explosive" set off on purpose by an alien intelligence, I tend to remember. It's a shame that the original posts were deleted by craterchains, they were a hoot. :rofl:

Evo said:
Anytime someone posts a website saying these were formed by "atomic explosions or some other high energy explosive" set off on purpose by an alien intelligence, I tend to remember.

I only remember the ones set off by aliens, by accident. :tongue:

To stay on topic.

The beginning latitude/longitude is Lat: 73.781 Lon: 8.312E and the ending is Lat: 42.328 Lon: 18.249E.
That means in length this crater chains stretches over 31.453 degrees latitude and angles 9.937 degrees in longitude, that is in Mars latitude and longitude distance.

Stitch lines could not configure itself into round craters shoulder to shoulder and show erosion.
:D

FieryIce said:
Stitch lines could not configure itself into round craters shoulder to shoulder and show erosion.
You took the explanation given at BA, flipped it around (to make it wrong), and re-presented it. The stiched lines would follow the contours of a crater, while a row of craterchains would not (there would be either more or less impacts in the sloped sides, not a consistent amount).

Also, the images, since they don't show craters, don't show erosions either.

In any case, this is all irrelevant to your main point (which you haven't made yet...) - even if these were crater chains, they would not be evidence of aliens - just like none of the other crater chains we've seen are evidence of aliens.

FieryIce, you are being willfully ignorant and deceptive. You said in your other thread (when you deleted your posts) that you wouldn't "play our game." Our game is called "science" and you must play it to post here.

No I have done no twisting, if anyone checks the thread at BA they will see the same wording, another nice thing with BA a poster can post the images for better clarification.

Email sent for confirmation as to if it is the longest.
We never bothered to question if it was a topographical feature or not. It obviously is not a screw up with the picture.

Subject: Re: Longest pit / crater chain on Mars
Date: Thu, November 11, 2004 9:50 am
To: craterchains@craterchains.com

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it is or not.
Phil C.

On Nov 10, 2004, at 7:00 AM, craterchains@craterchains.com wrote:

> Dr. Christensen
> While looking for a Lat. Lon. location on the Mars map Ms. Gale
> Smart, a
> co-investigator, came across this image of a pit or crater chain that
> we
> think may be the longest one found on Mars, so far. If possible can
> this
> be confirmed?
>
> Sincerely
> Mr. Norval L. Cunningham
> Principal Investigator
>

So consequently Dr. Phil Christensen is unsure if this crater chain is the longest or not.
:smile:

No offense, but it looks to me like he was blowing you off.

Well I have to admit a longer crater chain has been identified by Pete.

To quote his words:

It didn't take long. Here's another very similar artefact - this one is much longer, and again exactly parallel to the Surveyor orbit:
Themis site again
You can track this artefact all the way up to latitude 71°, and down to about 25°.

http://themis.asu.edu/mars-bin/mars_cgi_map.pl?TOP_LAT=64.015625&LEFT_LON=128.07719527&CENT_LAT=61.203125&CENT_LON=133.70219527&DISP_RES=64&DISP_DATASET=Visible&DISP_MAP_DATASET=1&DISP_MAP_PROJ=0&TNAIL_LINK=20041105a&PAN_SELECT_ZOOM=PAN&MAP_IMG.x=413&MAP_IMG.y=12
:smile:

FieryIce,
Your Image seems to contain a third long line (Chain) that traverses from an intersection (Just below the image) with the right side line to a point where it leaves the image in the upper right hand corner. Is it faint but it is longer than the extent of the image.

http://www.craterchains.com/gales/mars_compose.jpg

FieryIce hasn't posted here in 2 years.

I think you just won the award for necroposting. :biggrin:

Oh boy, an award! Does it come with a monetary award too?:rofl:

1. What is the longest crater chain in our solar system?

The longest crater chain in our solar system is Valles Marineris on Mars, which stretches over 4,000 kilometers in length.

2. How was the longest crater chain formed?

The Valles Marineris crater chain was formed through a combination of tectonic and volcanic activity. The initial formation was caused by tectonic forces, and subsequent volcanic activity created the deep troughs and canyons that make up the chain.

3. How old is the longest crater chain?

The Valles Marineris crater chain is estimated to be around 3.5 to 3.8 billion years old, making it one of the oldest features on Mars.

4. How does the longest crater chain compare to other features in our solar system?

The Valles Marineris crater chain is not only the longest in our solar system, but it is also one of the largest canyons in the entire solar system. It is approximately 10 times longer and 5 times deeper than the Grand Canyon on Earth.

5. Is there any evidence of past water activity in the longest crater chain?

Yes, there is evidence of past water activity in the Valles Marineris crater chain. Scientists have found sedimentary deposits and mineral formations that suggest the presence of ancient lakes and rivers in the region.