The lorentz boost of the CM frame w/ respect to the lab frame

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the Lorentz boost (gamma) for a muon type neutrino interacting with a stationary electron. The formula for gamma is given as γ=(Eν/2me)^1/2, where Ev is the neutrino energy and me is the electron mass. The person is seeking help in showing how to solve for gamma, but is advised to provide a complete description of the problem and its variables for better understanding.
nbd2010
Hi i have a problem with some work.

a muon type neutrino interacts with a stationary electron, producing a muon and electron type neutrino. I have calculated the CM energy but now need to calculate gamma, the lorentz boost.

γ=(Eν/2me)^1/2

How do i show this? the info i have is that β=P/E and Ev and me are the obvious relevant energy / mass. Any help towards the solution for gamma would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem description is really vague, which is why you probably haven't gotten any response. Can you provide a complete description of the problem, including defining what the variables you are using are, rather than have us try to guess or assume all the relevant details?

1. What is the Lorentz boost of the CM frame with respect to the lab frame?

The Lorentz boost of the CM frame with respect to the lab frame is a mathematical transformation that relates the coordinates of an event in the center of mass (CM) frame to the coordinates of the same event in the lab frame. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, and allows for consistency between the measurements made in different reference frames.

2. How is the Lorentz boost calculated?

The Lorentz boost is calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which involve the velocity of the CM frame with respect to the lab frame, the speed of light, and the coordinates and time of the event in each frame. These equations can be derived from the principles of special relativity and are used to describe the relationship between measurements in different reference frames.

3. Why is the Lorentz boost important in physics?

The Lorentz boost is important in physics because it allows us to understand the effects of special relativity on measurements made in different reference frames. It is a fundamental concept in modern physics, and without it, many phenomena such as time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic momentum would not be accurately described or understood.

4. How does the Lorentz boost affect measurements in the CM frame?

The Lorentz boost affects measurements in the CM frame by taking into account the relative motion between the CM frame and the lab frame. This can result in differences in the measurements of time and distance between the two frames, as well as the properties of particles, such as their momentum and energy. The Lorentz boost is necessary to ensure that measurements made in the CM frame are consistent with those made in the lab frame.

5. Can the Lorentz boost be applied to any reference frame?

The Lorentz boost can be applied to any inertial reference frame, which is a frame of reference that is not accelerating. It is a fundamental principle of special relativity and applies to all frames of reference that are in a state of relative motion. However, the equations may need to be modified for non-inertial frames, such as those experiencing acceleration or rotation.