Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The model of electric flux in solids

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    hi there!

I have a bit stupid question:

Imagine a solid metal cylinder. We put a . Explain to me please the exact model of the direct current electric flux of the particles. Is there a "skin effect" when a direct current is in action ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    You did not finish the sentence.

Is Direct Current means constant non varying current? If so, there is no skin effect to talk about, skin effect only happen with varying current and rather high frequency( no as high as people think!!).

There is no electric field inside a good conductor like metal if you assume it's a perfect conductor. Any electric field developed inside the metal WILL cause the electrons to move in opposite direction to neutralize the field. That's the reason there is no electric field in a perfect conductor.

In real life, there is a very very ( very!!) small electric field if you drive a current through as it's not a perfect conductor, a little voltage developed across the metal due to the resistance.

4. Nov 28, 2012 #3
    grr i just saw that i missed the sentence!!!

Yes. you`re right - Direct Current means constant non varying current. I am wondering what happens inside the cylinder - where do electrons pass - all over the cross section or just at the surface. For the example the two points of current are the centers of the circular faces of the cylinder. What happens if i vary the diameter of the cylinder ?

5. Nov 28, 2012 #4
    If it is direct non varying current, the current density in the middle is the same as close to the surface. It is all over the cross section of the cylinder. Skin effect only applies to varying current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    deos this mean that in direct, non varying current, the conductivity/resistance is equal on the surface and in any point in the cross section (in case of perfect homogenic metal structure) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook