The Molar Specific Heat (internal energy)

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in internal energy of one mole of an ideal diatomic gas undergoing a transition from point a to point c along the diagonal path. The equation for internal energy of an ideal gas in terms of its temperature is used to solve the problem, along with the equation U=Q-W and the P-V diagram. The solution also involves finding the work done and the total heat entered into the system, which can be calculated using the other path (ABC).
rey242

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal diatomic gas undergoes a transition from. a to c along the diagonal path
What is the change in internal energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the two other paths since the internal energy is the same both ways, but I can't see anyway to reconcile the two.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for internal energy of an ideal gas, in terms of its temperature?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=n*Cv*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

You can use that equation to solve this problem. You just need:

1. the temperature change between points a and c
2. Cv
3. n

I figured it out... but now I need to find the work done and the total heat entered into the system. I know it has to do with
U=Q-W

and the use of the other path(ABC).

Yes, you'll need that equation (U=Q-W). You can also use the fact that W is the area under the curve in the P-V diagram.

1. What is molar specific heat?

Molar specific heat, also known as molar heat capacity, is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius or Kelvin.

2. How is molar specific heat different from specific heat?

Molar specific heat is the specific heat of a substance per mole, while specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a specific mass of a substance by one degree Celsius or Kelvin. Molar specific heat takes into account the number of moles of a substance, while specific heat is based on mass.

3. What factors can affect molar specific heat?

The molar specific heat of a substance can be affected by its molecular structure, mass, temperature, and pressure. It can also vary depending on whether the substance is in a solid, liquid, or gas state.

4. How is molar specific heat measured?

Molar specific heat is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the temperature change of a substance when a known amount of heat energy is added or removed. This can be done using a calorimeter, a device designed specifically for measuring heat transfer.

5. Why is molar specific heat important in thermodynamics?

Molar specific heat is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how different substances store and transfer heat energy. It also plays a crucial role in determining the specific heat capacity of a system, which is essential in many thermodynamic calculations and processes.