Should I play the lottery or not?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lottery
In summary, the UK lotto consists of 6 balls and 1 bonus ball, with a jackpot ranging from 3m to 6m. The chances of winning the jackpot are 1 in 13,983,816. Despite the low odds, people still win almost every week. Some may argue that someone has to win eventually, but even with infinite time, some things may still be considered impossible. Ultimately, the decision to play the lottery is a personal one, with the advice to never spend more money than you can afford to lose. There are also stories of people who have won multiple times, but there is no proven formula for winning.
I agree - people think that "lightning can't strike twice". I used to wargame. Weapons fire is resolved by die roll. I've had an opponent who had me dead to rights refuse to take the shot because he'd "used up all his sixes last turn".

I started to argue with him, but eventually my tactical sensibilities overcame my scientific integrity. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
MathJakob said:
If 50 rolls have gone by and the 6 still hasn't shown then it's well over due and based on probability, it "should" occur any moment. Of course with probability it's just an average and you can't ever know for sure when a certain number will or will not appear.

In the long run, we expect each number with eual freuency. But in the long run, you will be dead.

With a once a week lottery, or a once a week dice roll, even Methuselah would be playing a fool's game.