The nature of the supernatural

• Thread starter Hat_Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, there is a discussion about the nature of the "supernatural" and whether certain phenomena labeled as such can be explained scientifically. The conversation touches on the idea of controlling the electrical field of the body and the potential for telepathy through this control. The concept of "transcience" is also brought up as a possible explanation for supernatural occurrences and is compared to the uncertainty principle. It is mentioned that the term "transcience" has a controversial history and is often associated with the military and programs such as the Stargate Project.
Hat_Man
The nature of the "supernatural"

I am sure that most of you here do not believe in supernatural ocurances and I would agree with you for the most part. What I would like to say is that certain things do happen that are sometimes hard to explain, and are blindly labled under 'supernatural' without anyone looking into them.

We all know that our brain and nerves use electrical impulses. We give off slight radio waves as a result. What not very many people know is that sometimes we can control the elctrical field of our body. For example, it is not very hard to generate a magnetic field inbetween your hands, both hands acting as identical poles. These are facts.
The supposed supernatural comes in when the aformentioned facts act in ways that we do not control and ost of the time are not even aware of. Thoughts in the brain, being electrical impulses, might be converted to small radio waves. While these would be extremely small and not even coherent in a language they could be picked up by someone close, maybe someone they are conversing with. While this person could not 'hear', or even be aware of this, they would get the general idea of the thought through their own subconscious prosessing of the received comunication. I am sure all of us here have been talking with someone and known ahead of time what they would say, sometimes down to the exact word.
Again, consider the control of our electrical field. If it can be controlled then it can be focused into a receiver or a transmitter. This would enable it to either influence someone's subconscious mind, or to "hear" someone's thoughts.
This basically deals with telepathy, which is certanly shrugged off by most people. Please do not confuse what I am saying with wild atempts to explain superstition, I am simply trying to find a logical and scientific way to discover a common phenominon. If you think I am way off base, or simply been hit in the head one to many times with a baseball bat, please let me know and explain where I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Things are nowhere as clear cut as you might imagine, but what you will find is that your common thread falls apart. 'Supernatural' phenomena are notoriously difficult to analyse using normal science, and there are special reasons for this.
The one everyone knows is that consciousness gets involved and this causes problems with the subjective / objective barrier, which breaks the scientific method.
Even more obvious is the behaviourists answer that you can't observe what doesn’t exist.
A third answer is related to something called transcience : a wizard can't cast a real fireball because transcience simply won't let him - the fireball’s reality simply doesn’t have enough energy. The same effect routinely stops psychic phenomena working in the laboratory - not enough energy. Everything in the world generates transcience - including scientists.

‘Transcience’ explains things like pre-cognition because it allows almost anything to occur even time travel, as long as the energy involved stays below critical limits. The way to understand transcience is in terms of energy : the ‘transient’ energy I am talking about is actually generated every time ANY transformation of energy occurs, as I said before - practically everything in the universe generates it. (The transcience of ordinary reality itself is a very complex subject.)
My terminology is pretty obsolete of course, ‘transcience’ is usually talked about today in terms of quantum superpositions. The old version had a lot of ‘military’ applications that frightened silly people. There, I’ve told you the real reason science isn’t very good at all this.

Last edited:
lucien86 said:
‘Transcience’ explains things like pre-cognition because it allows almost anything to occur even time travel, as long as the energy involved stays below critical limits. The way to understand transcience is in terms of energy : the ‘transient’ energy I am talking about is actually generated every time ANY transformation of energy occurs, as I said before - practically everything in the universe generates it. (The transcience of ordinary reality itself is a very complex subject.)
My terminology is pretty obsolete of course, ‘transcience’ is usually talked about today in terms of quantum superpositions. The old version had a lot of ‘military’ applications that frightened silly people. There, I’ve told you the real reason science isn’t very good at all this.

I've never heard of this transcience. It sounds like you are trying to describe the uncertainty principle, which says among other things that a fluctuation of energy could be arbitrarily large, if its duration was arbitrarily short. But when you do the math, the shortness necessary to enable a noticable flow of energy is truly short indeed; the Planck energy is about equal to a mosquito taking off, and the corresponding time is the Planck time, around 10-43 second. Doubtful this could be perceived.

Last edited:
I think Tsu and I have entangled thoughts. When I think spin up she thinks spin down. The longer we're married the more entangled we become. :biggrin:

Ooops I'm trying to be a little more honest now 'transcience' has a far less reputable source than the ordinary military - like the Stargate program (Wiki 'Stargate Project'). I use it a lot because it is very useful. In actual fact what it is talking about is the amount of energy in the relevant light cone.

Hat_Man said:
I am sure that most of you here do not believe in supernatural ocurances and I would agree with you for the most part. What I would like to say is that certain things do happen that are sometimes hard to explain, and are blindly labled under 'supernatural' without anyone looking into them.

We all know that our brain and nerves use electrical impulses. We give off slight radio waves as a result. What not very many people know is that sometimes we can control the elctrical field of our body. For example, it is not very hard to generate a magnetic field inbetween your hands, both hands acting as identical poles. These are facts.
The supposed supernatural comes in when the aformentioned facts act in ways that we do not control and ost of the time are not even aware of. Thoughts in the brain, being electrical impulses, might be converted to small radio waves. While these would be extremely small and not even coherent in a language they could be picked up by someone close, maybe someone they are conversing with. While this person could not 'hear', or even be aware of this, they would get the general idea of the thought through their own subconscious prosessing of the received comunication. I am sure all of us here have been talking with someone and known ahead of time what they would say, sometimes down to the exact word.
Again, consider the control of our electrical field. If it can be controlled then it can be focused into a receiver or a transmitter. This would enable it to either influence someone's subconscious mind, or to "hear" someone's thoughts.
This basically deals with telepathy, which is certanly shrugged off by most people. Please do not confuse what I am saying with wild atempts to explain superstition, I am simply trying to find a logical and scientific way to discover a common phenominon. If you think I am way off base, or simply been hit in the head one to many times with a baseball bat, please let me know and explain where I am wrong.

First of all, the electric signals from the brain are so tiny that in order to make an electroencephalogram you must put the electrodes over the skin and use power amplifiers to register them. The electromagnetic field generated is too small to be detected by any elaborate receiver a few centimeters away. Do you say that our non specialized brain can detect this field hundreds or thousands of meters away?
And for the alleged magnetic field between your hands, can you provide a reliable source for this phenomenon?
Telepathy has been studied for more than 100 years and no serious study showed its existence.
It is true that people with great affinity like spouses or close friends can sometimes know what the other is thinking, but this comes from the knowledge each has of the other personality.

1. What is the definition of the supernatural?

The supernatural refers to phenomena or events that are beyond the laws of nature and cannot be explained by science or natural means. This can include ghosts, spirits, magic, and other paranormal occurrences.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of the supernatural?

As a scientist, I must rely on empirical evidence and the scientific method to investigate and understand the world around us. Currently, there is no concrete scientific evidence for the existence of the supernatural. However, this does not necessarily mean that it does not exist, as there may be phenomena that are beyond our current understanding or ability to measure.

3. How do beliefs in the supernatural differ across cultures?

Beliefs in the supernatural vary greatly across cultures and can include a wide range of supernatural entities and phenomena. Some cultures may have strong beliefs in spirits and ghosts, while others may have a more scientific or rational approach to explaining supernatural occurrences.

4. Can science ever fully explain the supernatural?

As a scientist, I believe that there may be natural explanations for some phenomena that are currently considered supernatural. However, there may also be aspects of the supernatural that are beyond the scope of science and may never be fully explained or understood.

5. How does the study of the supernatural fit into the scientific community?

The study of the supernatural is not typically considered a part of mainstream scientific research. However, some scientists may be interested in studying paranormal phenomena and may use scientific methods to investigate these phenomena. It is important for scientists to approach the study of the supernatural with an open mind and to remain objective in their research.