The noise of a muted television

In summary, the conversation discussed various sources of high-pitched noises coming from electronic devices such as televisions, DTV boxes, and computers. These noises are typically caused by old style cathode ray tube TVs and monitors, which emit a whining sound at over 15 kHz. This frequency may be more noticeable when the device is turned off, and can also vary depending on whether there is an input signal. Other potential sources of the noise include switched mode power supplies found in modern electronic equipment.
jreelawg
I have noticed that the television makes a very high pitched noise. You almost can't tell your hearing it until it is turned off. It is kind of like the ringing of the ear in a way. Then When I turn on the DTV box, the sound becomes a little louder and changes frequency.

Does anyone know what makes this noise? Is it some kind of electronic buzz? I also noticed that my computer, even while on power save mode, makes a similar annoying high pitch buzzing sound.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Old style cathode ray tube TVs and monitors do whine at over 15 kHz (TVs). Usually only younger folks can hear so high.

A TV with no input can sound a little different to one with an input when the 15kHz locks into the incoming video. I would have thought the difference was small.

Another source would be switched mode powers supplies which are common in all sorts of equipment these days.

I can provide some insights on the phenomenon of the noise coming from a muted television and computer. This type of noise is commonly known as electronic or electrical noise, which is caused by the flow of electric current through the components of these devices.

In the case of a muted television, the noise is likely coming from the television's speakers or internal circuitry. When the television is muted, the speakers are still active and can pick up and amplify any electronic noise from the internal components. This can result in a high pitched noise, similar to ringing in the ears.

When the DTV box is turned on, it introduces a new source of electronic noise that can interfere with the muted television's internal components, causing the noise to become louder and change in frequency.

Similarly, with a computer on power save mode, the internal components are still active and can produce electronic noise. This can be caused by various factors such as the power supply, hard drive, or other components.

To reduce or eliminate this type of noise, it is important to ensure that all electronic devices are properly grounded and shielded. Additionally, using high-quality components and properly maintaining them can also help reduce electronic noise.

In conclusion, the noise coming from a muted television and computer is likely caused by electronic noise from the internal components of these devices. By understanding the sources of this noise and taking appropriate measures, it is possible to reduce or eliminate it.

1. What causes the noise of a muted television?

The noise of a muted television is caused by the residual sound waves from the previous audio playing on the television. These sound waves continue to bounce around inside the television and eventually dissipate, creating the noise that can be heard when the television is muted.

2. Can the noise of a muted television be stopped?

Unfortunately, the noise of a muted television cannot be completely stopped. However, there are some steps that can be taken to reduce the noise, such as adjusting the audio settings on the television or using external speakers.

3. Is the noise of a muted television harmful?

No, the noise of a muted television is not harmful. It is simply the residual sound waves from the previous audio and does not pose any health risks.

4. Why does the noise of a muted television vary in volume?

The volume of the noise from a muted television can vary depending on the type of television and audio settings. Additionally, the type and volume of the previous audio being played can also affect the noise level.

5. Can the noise of a muted television be fixed?

The noise of a muted television is a normal occurrence and does not require fixing. However, if the noise becomes too bothersome, it is best to contact the manufacturer or a professional for assistance.