Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The noise of a muted television

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    I have noticed that the television makes a very high pitched noise. You almost can't tell your hearing it until it is turned off. It is kind of like the ringing of the ear in a way. Then When I turn on the DTV box, the sound becomes a little louder and changes frequency.

Does anyone know what makes this noise? Is it some kind of electronic buzz? I also noticed that my computer, even while on power save mode, makes a similar annoying high pitch buzzing sound.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2
    Old style cathode ray tube TVs and monitors do whine at over 15 kHz (TVs). Usually only younger folks can hear so high.

A TV with no input can sound a little different to one with an input when the 15kHz locks into the incoming video. I would have thought the difference was small.

Another source would be switched mode powers supplies which are common in all sorts of equipment these days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?