Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Obama Tax Calculator

Tags:
  1. Oct 15, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Estimate the change in your tax liability based on Obama's tax plan.
    http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Could McCain have pulled off this unscripted, unprompted exposition of his tax policies? AND make the numbers add up? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubted the likelihood that it would be a reliable source (it sounded biased toward Obama), but lo and behold, it told me exactly what I suspected...not enough difference to care. :rolleyes: It never matters who is in office, single, successful people always get screwed. Playing with the numbers, I put in double the household income and saw what the numbers would be if I was married...it's a HUGE tax cut under Obama's plan...even with no children. How is that fair? If I had a husband who made exactly the same as me, together, we'd stand to get nearly 10 times as much of a tax cut married than if we were single! That's just penalizing single people. What's worse, the tax break would be better for being married with no children than it would be to be single with a kid! I can understand tax breaks when you have dependent children you need to support off the same salary, but I don't understand them just for being lucky to meet someone to get married.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I went to the other sites it referred to and they made no sense. They kept increasing my net income before taxes and there's a list of "assumptions" it says it's basing the figures on, none of which apply to me.

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A single person with a grad student income of $25,000 (at best:rolleyes:) will get $456.11 more than they would under John McCain.

Either way I'll still be poor, but that is a big difference.

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found that other site you're talking about. That one is terrible! It's assuming an automatically inflation-adjusted increase in income, as if everyone gets an automatic 3% increase every year, no more, no less. I think I know better than that site the duration of my contract and when I'm due for another raise. :rolleyes:

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least until the Federal government has to cut education spending to cover the difference in tax income, and your tuition goes up again, and all the other things they cut in the budget are shifted to the state budgets, and state taxes go up.

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the calculator page:

http://taxpolicycenter.org/aboutus/index.cfm

10. Oct 17, 2008 #9
  11. Oct 17, 2008 #10

Evo

I'm getting the same amount on this one.

12. Oct 17, 2008 #11
    every four years the candidates running for president make all sorts of tax promises. When was the last time we saw the same tax breaks once they were elected?

13. Oct 17, 2008 #12
    The one I posted is showing more money from Obama and zero from McCain. The one Ivan posted at least showed McCains as ~5% of what Obamas is.

14. Oct 17, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, but anyone who is married will tell you that special compensation is entirely appropriate due to the demands that we endure, such as putting down the toilet seat.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  15. Oct 17, 2008 #14

Borek

None.

I haven't looked at neither, I am not involved.

16. Oct 17, 2008 #15

O my god! Joe The Plumber strikes again!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Oct 18, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You aren't considering that we have to know the actual taxes paid. By whatever criteria was used to determine the different brackets and rates, clearly you aren't due a break if your tax burden is already too low. You might be complaining when you have it best of all!

The marriage tax penalty.
    http://marriage.about.com/od/finances/a/marriagepenalty.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?