Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The oldest commercial products

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surprisingly, Altoids must be a contender.

- wiki Altoids

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2
    Tooth Brushes. Egypt and earlier...

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking of products currently produced under the original name, by the same company, or with a definite lineage to the original.

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's scarcely any useful information in that paragraph. How many years has that advertising slogan been used? I'd guess since the 1990s, not the 1800s. What was the original candy like? Was it marketed as a breath mint? How many changes did the recipe go through before reaching its modern form, and when did that happen exactly? When were the candies first called "Altoids"? What were they called in 1780?

I strongly suspect that the actual recipe used today only goes back 10-30 years. The Wiki page appears to be mostly an advertisement for Altoids and various related products.

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was just watching bizarre foods which visited a company that makes Funa Zushi and has been in operation since 1619.

7. Jun 29, 2012 #6
    I would guess alcohol, beer or something, as meeting those "linage" requirements and being really "old".

8. Jun 29, 2012 #7
  9. Jun 29, 2012 #8
  10. Jul 1, 2012 #9
    Family owned businesses last for centuries:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16611040

11. Jul 1, 2012 #10
  12. Jul 2, 2012 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chartreuse liqueur, nasty stuff. Really nasty.

I know there are older liqueurs that have been in production by monasteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur))

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. Jul 2, 2012 #12
  14. Jul 3, 2012 #13

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Fixed the link)

Chartreuse is a special liqueur though, because the color "chartreuse" was actually named after the liqueur, not the other way around. Ya don't come across that everyday.

I try to keep a bottle of Chartreuse handy, as it's an essential ingredient in the drink "Webster F. Street Layaway Plan." Essentially, it's like a martini but with Chartreuse instead of Vermouth. It's very effective.*

But there are older alcohols than this. Distillation is a comparatively recent invention. There are wine and beer brands that are much older.

*(See John Steinbeck's "Sweet Thursday" for details.)

15. Jul 4, 2012 #14
    "Green chaud" is a very good use of Chartreuse liqueur. Make yourself some hot chocolate and add Chartreuse. Or use it as "sauce" for chocolate ice cream.

The liqueur is named after the monastery that is still in charge of making it (although it is industrialized now and not make at the monastery anymore. Legend has it that only one monk knows the precise receipe). The monastery is named after the mountain range.

You can visit the brewery but not normally the monastery. You can only get a sneaky peek from above when you hike the mountains, in particular Grand Som.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chartr...&t=h&radius=0.38&hq=chartreuse+grand+som&z=17

16. Jul 25, 2012 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An article made me think of this thread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18261045

Wow, 14 generations!

17. Jul 25, 2012 #16

turbo

Gold Member

My older neighbors have since moved back to Mass, but one of their sons works producing cymbals for Zidjian. When I was hosting open mic jams, I always brought the drum-kit. The drums were all Fibes and the cymbals were all Zildjians. Quality rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook