Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Orion Nebula!

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hey all! Just sharing my photo of the Orion Nebula I managed to take about 2 weeks ago. Managed to get this sucker RIGHT before sunrise. Not the greatest picture ever, but I am proud of it.
    [PLAIN]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3486/m422.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

NICE! I live in London and on a good clear night I get to see perhaps five stars. I'd love to be able to see the sky like this.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

Evo

Great job Drakkith!!!

I remember the first time I actually was able to see the milky way when I was in upsate New York.

And this was funny
    http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/astronomy-topics/light-pollution.html

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Pretty nice, Drakkith. Astrophotography can be a very demanding hobby, even in these days of digital sensors.

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Tell me about it! I just spend $1500 on a new mount because my telescope was sold to me with a mount that could barely support it. Add in a camera and other equipment and I can't even balance the scope now!

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Excellent shot! I get to try around October. Are you using any filters?

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7

Drakkith

Just RGB filters.

9. Aug 17, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Beautiful shot, drakkith!! I love it!!

10. Aug 17, 2011 #9
    Nice! What gear are you using for your AP setup?

11. Aug 17, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Orion Nebula is a toughie because there are so many features that you might want to capture. Drakkith's image features the Trapezium, which is always really burned out if you want to capture the fainter detail in the outer regions.

I shot this one back in the bad old film days. 6" f:8 Apo refractor, with Konika ISO 3200 film at prime focus with a 20 minute exposure. Notice the really nasty film grain and the lack of detail in the brighter part of the nebula. None of the stars in the star-forming region that Drakkith imaged even show up on my picture.
    orion.jpg

12. Aug 17, 2011 #11

Drakkith

Meade LXD75 10" SN, SBIG ST-2000 XM camera. No autoguiding. Normal RGB filters.

13. Aug 18, 2011 #12
    Great picture!

Oh, imagine their awe!

My first experience seeing the milky way was when visiting my ancestral village at late summer, 15yo. It was marvelous! I remember feeling so small looking towards something so vast and my mind tried to visualize traveling from one star to another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook