Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Painless Needle

1. Mar 25, 2004 #1
    Now that HIVs is more rampant across North America, and that there are plenty of careless drug users out there with needles, nothing freaks me out more than a syringe.

In fact, I stepped on one once (don't worry, didn't penetrate). It still freaked me out. Now, people are using needles as weapons, purposely spreading disease by poking infected needles into others.

Last time they drew blood with a needle, I fainted.

I have a phobia now. I always look at the ground wherever I walk to avoid sharp objects, and whenever someone touches me, I jump away in fear. Yes, I know I'm paranoid.

But most of us dislike needles for the ominous look and pain it causes. Ours fears can now be put to rest.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2004 #2
    I do not understand the fear of needles. And as far as pain there is none, unless of course you are injecting a medicine that causes pain.

4. Mar 26, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also have the impression that getting an infection from a needle that has been lying around is not that great (still be careful though).
  5. Mar 26, 2004 #4
    Sure it does. When someone pokes your skin to draw blood from a vein - it hurts.

Your arm gets all fuzzy and warm too (which makes me faint).
  6. Mar 26, 2004 #5
    I doubt they could draw blood through these needles anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
  7. Mar 26, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had a lot of blood samples taken, and it has never hurt, not even a little pinch. Same for getting shots. There is a nerve that runs near the vein they take blood from, so maybe that warm, fuzzy feeling and the pain had to do with hitting the nerve? It may be more your nervousness getting to you than anything else.
  8. Mar 26, 2004 #7

Staff: Mentor

I'm not afraid of needles, but I definitely feel pain when I get a shot or blood is drawn. When blood is drawn I also feel the suctioning. I've been told I have very small veins, so perhaps that is the reason.
  9. Mar 26, 2004 #8
    Of course you feel pain. I don't know why nautica said that you didn't.

It hurts. Especially when they leave it in when drawing blood.

Hopefully these new needles come out.

But won't they be even harder to see, causing more infections for those who get stabbed by them?
  10. Mar 26, 2004 #9
    I doubt they will be able to draw blood with these needles.

11. Mar 26, 2004 #10
    Um...yeah, you mentioned that.
  12. Mar 27, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The needle is not meant to draw blood, you need to puncture a vein for accomplishing that. The needle in the article breaks the barrier of the skin, which allows large molecules to pass through it, which wouldn't if the skin was intact, otherwise a topical gel could be applied. In this case a topic gel can still be applied, since the skin is abrased and the molecules will pass through. The patch is worn in a bandade and I don't even think it will cause any bleeding..

I don't think it can be used to inject anything in the skin.. where would the liquid go, and how much pressure would it take?

And the funny feeling you get in your arm when they draw blood.. I guess that must be from the vacuum. The veins they puncture are under very little pressure, the tube into which the blood is drawn is under a vacuum, so the blood is actually sucked from your arm (not that that would make you feel any better)..
  13. Mar 27, 2004 #12
    According to the article, you attach it to a syringe.

This new "microneedle" will make it possibly to inject medicine directly to cancer cells.

Oooh....I'm getting dizzy again...
  14. Mar 27, 2004 #13
    The only reason I mentioned that twice, is that you keep mentioning getting blood drawn in the same post you mention that this new micro needles will not not hurt.

And as far as delivering medicine through these needles. It will be extremely limited, there are many many drugs, which will not even go through a 25 guage needle, much less a micro needle.

But, if this new products helps you sleep better at night, while dreaming about "drawing blood" then so be it.

15. Mar 28, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, sure.. the local delivery of medicine should be possible with such a needle/syringe.. I just wonder with such small needles how much of the delivered material actually goes into the skin and how much will just drip off? You are really accessing the outer most layer of the skin by the looks of it (where no blood is present either).

I think the main application will be "An array of 400 embedded in an adhesive patch could gently puncture the skin, making it permeable to extended-release medication such as insulin, which contains protein molecules too large to slip by skin cells unassisted."
  16. Mar 28, 2004 #15
    I completely agree.

Basically, this will be replacing a slin needle and if you know anything about these you would agree that there is absolutely no pain whatsoever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?