Overcoming Fear of Needles: The Painless Needle

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Needle
In summary: So I'm wondering if that's where the pain comes from?Yes, the pain comes from the pressure from the vacuum.
Dagenais
Now that HIVs is more rampant across North America, and that there are plenty of careless drug users out there with needles, nothing freaks me out more than a syringe.

In fact, I stepped on one once (don't worry, didn't penetrate). It still freaked me out. Now, people are using needles as weapons, purposely spreading disease by poking infected needles into others.

Last time they drew blood with a needle, I fainted.

I have a phobia now. I always look at the ground wherever I walk to avoid sharp objects, and whenever someone touches me, I jump away in fear. Yes, I know I'm paranoid.

But most of us dislike needles for the ominous look and pain it causes. Ours fears can now be put to rest.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/medicine/article/0,12543,589485,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I do not understand the fear of needles. And as far as pain there is none, unless of course you are injecting a medicine that causes pain.

Nautica

I also have the impression that getting an infection from a needle that has been lying around is not that great (still be careful though).

I do not understand the fear of needles. And as far as pain there is none, unless of course you are injecting a medicine that causes pain.

Sure it does. When someone pokes your skin to draw blood from a vein - it hurts.

Your arm gets all fuzzy and warm too (which makes me faint).

I doubt they could draw blood through these needles anyway.

Nautica

Last edited by a moderator:
Dagenais said:
Sure it does. When someone pokes your skin to draw blood from a vein - it hurts.

Your arm gets all fuzzy and warm too (which makes me faint).

I've had a lot of blood samples taken, and it has never hurt, not even a little pinch. Same for getting shots. There is a nerve that runs near the vein they take blood from, so maybe that warm, fuzzy feeling and the pain had to do with hitting the nerve? It may be more your nervousness getting to you than anything else.

I'm not afraid of needles, but I definitely feel pain when I get a shot or blood is drawn. When blood is drawn I also feel the suctioning. I've been told I have very small veins, so perhaps that is the reason.

I'm not afraid of needles, but I definitely feel pain when I get a shot or blood is drawn. When blood is drawn I also feel the suctioning. I've been told I have very small veins, so perhaps that is the reason.

Of course you feel pain. I don't know why nautica said that you didn't.

It hurts. Especially when they leave it in when drawing blood.

Hopefully these new needles come out.

But won't they be even harder to see, causing more infections for those who get stabbed by them?

I doubt they will be able to draw blood with these needles.

Nautica

I doubt they will be able to draw blood with these needles.

Um...yeah, you mentioned that.

The needle is not meant to draw blood, you need to puncture a vein for accomplishing that. The needle in the article breaks the barrier of the skin, which allows large molecules to pass through it, which wouldn't if the skin was intact, otherwise a topical gel could be applied. In this case a topic gel can still be applied, since the skin is abrased and the molecules will pass through. The patch is worn in a bandade and I don't even think it will cause any bleeding..

I don't think it can be used to inject anything in the skin.. where would the liquid go, and how much pressure would it take?

And the funny feeling you get in your arm when they draw blood.. I guess that must be from the vacuum. The veins they puncture are under very little pressure, the tube into which the blood is drawn is under a vacuum, so the blood is actually sucked from your arm (not that that would make you feel any better)..

I don't think it can be used to inject anything in the skin.. where would the liquid go, and how much pressure would it take?

According to the article, you attach it to a syringe.

This new "microneedle" will make it possibly to inject medicine directly to cancer cells.

And the funny feeling you get in your arm when they draw blood.. I guess that must be from the vacuum. The veins they puncture are under very little pressure, the tube into which the blood is drawn is under a vacuum, so the blood is actually sucked from your arm (not that that would make you feel any better)..

Oooh...I'm getting dizzy again...

The only reason I mentioned that twice, is that you keep mentioning getting blood drawn in the same post you mention that this new micro needles will not not hurt.

And as far as delivering medicine through these needles. It will be extremely limited, there are many many drugs, which will not even go through a 25 gauge needle, much less a micro needle.

But, if this new products helps you sleep better at night, while dreaming about "drawing blood" then so be it.

Nautica

Dagenais said:
According to the article, you attach it to a syringe.

This new "microneedle" will make it possibly to inject medicine directly to cancer cells.
Ok, sure.. the local delivery of medicine should be possible with such a needle/syringe.. I just wonder with such small needles how much of the delivered material actually goes into the skin and how much will just drip off? You are really accessing the outer most layer of the skin by the looks of it (where no blood is present either).

I think the main application will be "An array of 400 embedded in an adhesive patch could gently puncture the skin, making it permeable to extended-release medication such as insulin, which contains protein molecules too large to slip by skin cells unassisted."

I completely agree.

Basically, this will be replacing a slin needle and if you know anything about these you would agree that there is absolutely no pain whatsoever.

Nautica

1. What is the "Painless Needle" and how does it work?

The "Painless Needle" is a new type of needle designed to reduce or eliminate the pain associated with injections. It works by using a tiny, high-speed jet of medication to penetrate the skin without touching any nerve endings, resulting in a pain-free injection.

2. Is the "Painless Needle" safe to use?

Yes, the "Painless Needle" has been extensively tested and has been found to be just as safe as traditional needles. It is FDA approved and has been used in clinical settings with no reported adverse effects.

3. Does the "Painless Needle" work for all types of injections?

While the "Painless Needle" has been shown to work for most types of injections, it may not be suitable for certain thicker or more viscous medications. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional to determine if the "Painless Needle" is the right choice for your specific injection.

4. Are there any side effects associated with using the "Painless Needle"?

There have been no reported side effects associated with using the "Painless Needle". However, as with any medical device, there is always a small risk of infection or bruising at the injection site. Proper sterilization techniques and following the instructions for use can help minimize these risks.

5. Can the "Painless Needle" help with overcoming fear of needles?

Yes, the "Painless Needle" can be a helpful tool for those with a fear of needles. The lack of pain and discomfort associated with traditional needles can make the injection process much more tolerable and less anxiety-inducing. It is important to talk to your healthcare provider and discuss any fears or concerns you may have about injections.