The peak frequency of solar radiation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 10K views
zachcumer
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Hey guys. The question I have to answer is What is the color of the peak frequency of solar radiation? Now is there a certain way to figure this out or...very hard to find on the internet...

best

zach
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not hard at all to find on the Internet. Type solar spectrum into the Google search box, and click the first link (happens to be a wikipedial.org link). Done.
 
zachcumer said:
my book says its green... its black?!? what?

Black? LOL. Did you follow any of the links? What is the peak of the spectrum shown at the top of the wikipedia.org page?
 
I am on solar radiation on wiki..there is no solar spectrum...give me the link please.
 
zachcumer said:
I am on solar radiation on wiki..there is no solar spectrum...give me the link please.

Google solar spectrum and click on the wikipedia.org link, or any of the other links. You are looking for the peak in the solar spectrum -- that is a lot more directed than looking through pages about general solar radiation.
 
zachcumer said:
what is the color??!

We don't give out answers here on the PF, we just help you to figure it out for yourself. Are you saying that you have gotten the wavelength (or wavenumber or whatever) of the peak off of the chart(s), and now want to know what color that wavelength corresponds to?
 
zachcumer said:
sure. i thinks its green is it? ?

To be honest, I have no idea. So to try to find out for myself, I added a term to the google search to find out. I googled solar spectrum peak, and got several good hits. BTW, I also got a hit for this PF thread already in that google search -- that was fast!

Here is a link that should get you what you want, but read the whole link carefully. The answer may not be green -- you may have to re-read your homework question carefully after reading this link!

http://thulescientific.com/LYNCH & Soffer OPN 1999.pdf

Let us know the final answer you figure out.