Discover the Physics Behind the Pen Revolving Around Your Finger

• Thread starter Milind_shyani
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how a pen can be rotated around one's finger without any support. The components of force acting on the pen are torque, gravitational force, kinetic energy, and angular momentum. The rotation occurs due to the placement of the finger close to the pen's center of gravity and the application of torque. This concept is similar to baton twirling and there are videos available online for reference.
Milind_shyani
Hi,
Suppose that I am holding a pen in my hand and then i move my hand in such a way that the pen starts revolving around my index finger. It rotates in such a way that it seems that my finger is the center of the circular path(the path, through which the pen is revovling).
I hope I have described the problem properly. Now can you tell me why the pen revolves around my finger without any support and what are the componets of force acting on it

Physics news on Phys.org
well, your pen could be rotating. If you put a pen on a table, you can apply torque to the pen so that it will rotate around its centre of gravity. The same will happen with your pen around your finger, because you place your finger close to the pen's center of gravity, and then apply torque to begin the rotation. You have gravitational force which is negligible since I assume you preform this pen trick rather rapidly, then plain kinetic energy and angular momentum. Which are not forces, only gravity is. I hope I understood your question correctly.

I can do simple pencil / spin spinning around my thumb, but my thumb is big so I start with the center of mass a bit a way from my thumb, and the center of mass approaches my thumb while the pen/pencil rotates around my thumb.

Here's one link to a website that includes a link to a video.

http://www.superhandz.com/videos.html#penspinning

Good baton twirlers can do similar movements on a larger scale:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the pen stay balanced while revolving around my finger?

The pen stays balanced due to centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. As the pen rotates around your finger, the centripetal force acts towards the center of the circle, keeping the pen in motion.

2. What is the role of friction in this experiment?

Friction is important in this experiment because it provides the necessary force to keep the pen from slipping off your finger. Without friction, the pen would not be able to maintain its circular motion and would fall off your finger.

3. Does the weight of the pen affect its ability to revolve around my finger?

Yes, the weight of the pen does affect its ability to revolve around your finger. The heavier the pen, the more centripetal force is needed to keep it in motion. This means that a heavier pen may be more difficult to balance and may require a stronger finger grip.

4. How does the speed of the pen affect its motion?

The speed of the pen affects its motion by influencing the centripetal force and the amount of friction needed to keep it in motion. A faster-moving pen will require a stronger centripetal force and more friction to maintain its circular path, while a slower-moving pen will require less force and friction.

5. Is there a limit to how fast or slow the pen can revolve around my finger?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast or slow the pen can revolve around your finger. If the speed is too fast, the centripetal force required may be too great, causing the pen to fly off your finger. If the speed is too slow, the pen may not have enough momentum to maintain its circular motion and may fall off your finger. It is important to find a balance between speed and force to keep the pen in motion.