Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Perseids are coming! The Perseids are coming!

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    Strap on your helmets boys and girls, and keep the dinosaurs inside. The Perseid meteor shower will peak tomorrow night.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Glad you reminded me!

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Unfortunately, Maine is looking to be stuck in clouds all weekend and into early next week, with scattered showers and T-storms. I have a couple of decent DSLRs with nice lenses, and I have been under a Perseid Curse ever since gearing up.

5. Aug 12, 2012 #4
    I got up at 4:00 am but the sky was cloud covered. Same at 5:00. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

6. Aug 12, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't quite make it out of bed to see them :redface:, but my bf did, for 20 minutes or so. He said it was cool but not really spectacular.

7. Aug 12, 2012 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took a look about 12:30 and didn't see much.

8. Aug 12, 2012 #7
    I saw a couple after about an hour of viewing- too much light pollution here though.

Observers with clear, dark skies can expect to see only about one per minute.

9. Aug 13, 2012 #8
    I saw 3 in a 10 minute period. Light polution here is pretty bad too. I can remember as a child in 1963 I stayed overnight at summer camp. We slept outside during a meteor shower. It was in a rural area, it was a very clear night, and we were lying down with our faces to the sky. We talked about episodes of Twilight Zone. There were several meteors per minute all through the night until I fell asleep.

10. Aug 13, 2012 #9
    I had a lot of light pollution and clouds were incoming fast, so I only managed to see a single one. Tried early in the morning too, but no luck.

Still, the single one was a fantastic sight to see :D

11. Aug 13, 2012 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I stared up at the sky last night for about 30 minutes and only saw two. The most spectacular was something very bright slowly moving across the sky, not sure what it was.

12. Aug 13, 2012 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe a satellite?

13. Aug 13, 2012 #12
    I was spoiled by the Leonid shower a decade ago. Went to a very dark site and saw one every few seconds.

14. Aug 13, 2012 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the same, but it was really bright: a lot brighter than any star in the sky (and I think satellites are quite dim objects?). I thought it could be an airplane flying at a relatively low altitude, but all the airplanes that I saw had blinking lights and this object was just a bright white spot moving from west to east.

15. Aug 13, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

ISS, maybe. It is quite large, with big solar arrays.

16. Aug 14, 2012 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're right :biggrin: From the Beginner’s Guide to Seeing the International Space Station (ISS):
    That definitely was a lot cooler than the Perseids, but with the light pollution that was also harder to miss than the shooting stars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook