1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The problem described with image in topic

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/336/angleqj.png [Broken]
    Lets say that the body has force F in the direction B(β).
    What is the formula that would let me calculate X velocity and Y velocity of the body?
    The formula should include all three factors, A(α), B(β), and F (force of the body)

I've encountered this problem while developing computer game. Thanks for help!
    ~Kustrle

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2
    Create a right triangle with F as the hypotenuse and one side being the X Velocity and the other side being the Y velocity. Then if you know the angle of the object, you can use right-angle trig to figure out the other sides.

Sorry about the error in posting, accidentally pressed 'post quick reply' instead of 'go advanced.'

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    I can only include 1 angle (α) and force in right triangle (other angle will always be 90-α).

5. Nov 4, 2011 #4
    You only need one angle and one side.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #5
    For the angle I take γ=α-β
    From that I get that X velocity = cosγ*F and Y velocity = sinγ*F
    Now lets say that α=0 and β=-90. It's obvious that both X and Y velocities are equal to 0. But from the equations above I get that X velocity = 0 while Y velocity = F which is wrong.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #6
    No they wouldn't both be zero. If F is only in one direction, one vector will have all of the force and the other will have none.

8. Nov 4, 2011 #7
    Yes all the force would be in Y direction, but it just couldn't be applied so Y velocity would still be 0.

9. Nov 5, 2011 #8
    I don't understand what's wrong, if you just use right angle trig I know it will work out, it's basic vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook