The Problem With Science Communication (Veritasium)

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
I just saw this recent video by Veritasium (a popular science channel), featuring e.g. Carlo Rovelli.
I'd say it's one of the best Veritasium has made, and one of the most important.
What can I say? I'm deeply impressed.

It's about the problems of hyping science news and how to counter it.
Examples that appear in the video include fictional wormholes, quantum computing, primordial gravitational waves, room temperature superconduction, faster-than-light neutrinos, fusion etc.

The Problem With Science Communication (Veritasium)

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, topsquark, PeroK and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps articles must carry a certification of accuracy like an Impermater/Nihil Obstat from some official scientific organization as is used by the Catholic Church on books etc related to the Church's doctrine.

I've watched the video and I agree that it is very good.
That said, I think it somewhat over-simplifies some complicated problems. It is -correctly- pointed out that we scientists do need to do some PR for our results. However, it then goes on to say that this is so that we can increase our chances of winning more funding in the future (or something to that effect).
I don't think this is -in general- correct. When we write normal proposals we will refer to previous publications in scientific journals and these proposals are generally also reviewed by other scientists. Hence, under normal circumstances it won't matter at all if one of your papers was noticed by mainstream media (I've never seen a reference to a news story in a proposal I've written or reviewed).
It might be different if you are trying to get funding from say a private foundation, but at least in physics that is not the norm.

Most of the time the pressure to "hype" your research is actually coming from the organisations that paid for the research in the first place; they want to be able to show the public (i.e., the taxpayers) that they are spending their money wisely and that the research they are supporting is important. The problem is of course that accurately describing the content (and importance) of a typical paper in a way that is understandable to a general audience is usually very, very difficult. It is very easy to get carried away.

The main reason why this is so complicated is of course that the funding agencies (and ultimately the taxpayers) do have a right to know what we are doing with their money. Hence, while most scientists don't like needing to "demonstrate impact" of their research, most of us still understand why it is part of the job.

At a higher level there is of course also issues around science policy and what field are being supported/funded (which certainly is influenced by hype), but even then discussions with funding agencies and politicians are typically not taking place in the media, but in various closed meetings, expert groups etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DennisN, dextercioby and BillTre
I don't think what appears in the press carries much weight in the grant departments of NSF, DOD, DOE, NIH, etc.

gleem said:
I don't think what appears in the press carries much weight in the grant departments of NSF, DOD, DOE, NIH, etc.
Perhaps not, but it does influence the public image of what science is and what is going on. This influences people. Ultimately this both feeds crackpots as well as lure people to science with a false pretence about what science is.

Likes DennisN, gleem, PeroK and 2 others
@DennisN, interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Likes DennisN and BillTre
gleem said:
Usually not, but sometimes yes.

I know a really smart guy from graduate school who did a post-doc projec that was rather successful, but was flagged by Proxmire for a golden fleece award.
This was an ironic award for political purposes to highlight government waste.
Problem was the subject of the study (finding mutants in the frequency that C. elegans worms pooped) sounds loopy, but the mutagenesis found many mutations affecting all kinds of rhythmic behavior in these simple animals.
This guy no longer had any prospects for getting grants and changed what he did.

Negative PR for someone naive about how it looks to the outside world.
In the small world of research biology, his stuff looked brilliant.

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes nsaspook, gleem, PeroK and 1 other person

1. What is the main problem with science communication as discussed in Veritasium's video?

The main problem with science communication, as highlighted by Veritasium, is the oversimplification and distortion of scientific facts in order to make content more engaging and accessible to the general public. This can lead to misunderstandings and misinformation about scientific topics.

2. How does Veritasium suggest improving science communication?

Veritasium suggests that improving science communication involves a balance between simplicity and accuracy. Communicators should strive to convey information in a way that is both understandable and faithful to the science. This might involve using analogies carefully, avoiding sensationalism, and providing context for better understanding.

3. What are the consequences of poor science communication?

Poor science communication can lead to a misinformed public, which may have serious consequences such as public distrust in scientific institutions and professionals, poor health decisions, and a lack of support for beneficial scientific research and policies.

4. What role do social media and digital platforms play in science communication according to the video?

According to the video, social media and digital platforms play a significant role in science communication by amplifying both good and bad information. While these platforms can increase accessibility and engagement, they also have the potential to spread misinformation rapidly if not managed responsibly.

5. How can viewers themselves improve their understanding and communication of science?

Viewers can improve their understanding and communication of science by critically evaluating the sources of their information, checking for credibility and scientific backing. They should also seek to understand the underlying principles rather than just memorizing facts. Engaging with multiple sources and perspectives can also help improve one’s science literacy and communication skills.