The propagation of light through a vacuum.

In summary: And yes, the higgs field is yet another field (of which there are many).In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what the electric and magnetic fields are in electromagnetic waves if there is no medium for them to propagate through. It is mentioned that the visualization of EM waves as oscillating fields is a classical understanding, while quantum mechanics views it as the exchange of photons. The Michaelson-Morley Experiment is also mentioned as a key discovery in understanding the absence of a medium for EM waves. The conversation then delves into further questions about the properties of free space and whether the Higgs field could be a factor. Ultimately, it is clarified that the values of permittivity and permeability in free space are simply defined
thomasxc
all i have under my belt is a high school physics class, so please bear with me. i have a pretty good understanding of light and waves, but this question still gets me. and nowhere can i find a decent answer, or rather, and answer i can comprehend. if EM waves don't require a medium, then what exactly are the electric and magnetic fields if they arent a disturbance of something besides the initial medium. are they a disturbance of spacetime? any help is Immensely appreciated.

-Tom

Science news on Phys.org
thomasxc said:
all i have under my belt is a high school physics class, so please bear with me. i have a pretty good understanding of light and waves, but this question still gets me. and nowhere can i find a decent answer, or rather, and answer i can comprehend. if EM waves don't require a medium, then what exactly are the electric and magnetic fields if they arent a disturbance of something besides the initial medium. are they a disturbance of spacetime? any help is Immensely appreciated.

-Tom

Oh :( I thought the underlined "immensely" was a link and was curious what it was. Anywho, the visualization of EM as oscillating magentic and electric field is actually a classical one. Quantum mechanically we often treat EM as the exchange of photons (i.e. particles of light) which might give you a visualization of what it is. The fact that there is no medium through which EM waves travel was established over a hundred years ago through what is called the "Michaelson-Morley Experiment" which is of great importance (wiki it). It was this understanding that light didn't propogate through any medium that made Einstein's theory of (special) relativity possible.

maverick_starstrider said:
The fact that there is no medium through which EM waves travel was established over a hundred years ago through what is called the "Michaelson-Morley Experiment" which is of great importance (wiki it). It was this understanding that light didn't propogate through any medium that made Einstein's theory of (special) relativity possible.
Why does a vacuum ("empty" space) have a permeability μ0 and a permittivity ε0? Why does sqrt(μ00) = 377 ohms (the sqrt of E/H in a plane wave)? why does 1/sqrt((μ0 ε0) = the speed of light?

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

i am familiar w/ the michaelson-morley experiment. the exchange of photons makes more sense for me.are your questions rhetorical, bob s?

Bob S said:
Why does a vacuum ("empty" space) have a permeability μ0 and a permittivity ε0? Why does sqrt(μ00) = 377 ohms (the sqrt of E/H in a plane wave)? why does 1/sqrt((μ0 ε0) = the speed of light?

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

Because when we defined our unit of force (the Newton) we made no attempt to make it map onto our unit of charge via coloumbs law. Thus you need conversion factors. Look up GAUSSIAN UNITS for a more natural set of units for EM.

Bob S said:

Definitions. μ0 has a defined value and is not a measured (or measurable) quantity. And ε0 is defined to be 1/(c2[/μ0) so, naturally, 1/sqrt((μ0 ε0) = the speed of light.

thomasxc said:
i am familiar w/ the michaelson-morley experiment. the exchange of photons makes more sense for me.are your questions rhetorical, bob s?
Yes, I am familiar with all that, and the usefulness of permittivity and permeability in both physics and electrical engineering. The question I am asking what causes free space to have these properties? What is there in free space that leads to permittivity and permeability, in any system of units. Why isn't there a solution where free space is completely empty.

how do we know space is empty could it be the higgs field .

A field is a set of numbers for all points in space. It has little to do with whether something is "empty" or not.

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a type of energy that travels in waves and has both wave-like and particle-like properties.

What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space that is completely empty and devoid of any matter. In scientific terms, it is a space with no particles or atoms present.

How does light travel through a vacuum?

Light travels through a vacuum in straight lines at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light and is the fastest speed at which any object can travel.

Can light be affected by a vacuum?

No, light cannot be affected by a vacuum. Since a vacuum has no particles or atoms, there is nothing for the light to interact with, and therefore it travels without any interference.

Why is the propagation of light through a vacuum important?

The propagation of light through a vacuum is important because it allows us to observe and study the universe. Since light can travel through a vacuum, it allows us to see objects and events that are millions or even billions of light-years away from us.