Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The properties of Electric Field lines

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    List the 4 properties and characteristics of electric field lines.

2. Relevant equations
    I was not able to get them all and the ones that I did get I am confused that if it is really a characteristic or a property

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Characteristic: The closer the field lines the greater the intensity (closer field lines have are greater in density)

2. Property: When there is more than 1 source; the electric field strength is the vector sum of both sources ( the electric field strength is a vector quantity so it has a direction).

3. Characteristic: In the presence of a positive charge (inside electric field line), the field lines would radiate straight out (just as a positive test charge would be pushed out).

4. Characteristic: At every point on the electric field line (since the field lines are often curved), the direction of the field is tangent to the line.

5. Property: the electric field strength between two parallel plates is the quotient of voltage over charge(q1 causing the electric field) while the electric field strength near a point charge is the quotient of the electric force over the charge(q1 that is causing the electric field)

thanks for your responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    Honestly this is probably some arbitrary list you're being asked to make so I wouldn't worry. Properties/characteristics are probably meant to be the same thing. 1 and 3 are probably what are being looked for and maybe 4. Think about circles around a point charge.

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    I am not aware of "characteristic" and "property" having clearly defined differences in common usage. I suspect that is a distinction drawn by your text book or teacher.

This looks like the kind of question that is asking you to reiterate information presented in a previous reading. Can you go back and see if the answers are simply stated in the text or in class notes?

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    yes that is what I did;
    My information(list), I gathered from the text;

I guess I will go back again and read it over one more time.

---thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook