1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The properties of Electric Field lines

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    List the 4 properties and characteristics of electric field lines.

2. Relevant equations
    I was not able to get them all and the ones that I did get I am confused that if it is really a characteristic or a property

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Characteristic: The closer the field lines the greater the intensity (closer field lines have are greater in density)

2. Property: When there is more than 1 source; the electric field strength is the vector sum of both sources ( the electric field strength is a vector quantity so it has a direction).

3. Characteristic: In the presence of a positive charge (inside electric field line), the field lines would radiate straight out (just as a positive test charge would be pushed out).

4. Characteristic: At every point on the electric field line (since the field lines are often curved), the direction of the field is tangent to the line.

5. Property: the electric field strength between two parallel plates is the quotient of voltage over charge(q1 causing the electric field) while the electric field strength near a point charge is the quotient of the electric force over the charge(q1 that is causing the electric field)

thanks for your responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    Honestly this is probably some arbitrary list you're being asked to make so I wouldn't worry. Properties/characteristics are probably meant to be the same thing. 1 and 3 are probably what are being looked for and maybe 4. Think about circles around a point charge.

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    I am not aware of "characteristic" and "property" having clearly defined differences in common usage. I suspect that is a distinction drawn by your text book or teacher.

This looks like the kind of question that is asking you to reiterate information presented in a previous reading. Can you go back and see if the answers are simply stated in the text or in class notes?

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    yes that is what I did;
    My information(list), I gathered from the text;

I guess I will go back again and read it over one more time.

---thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook