The purpose of that rubbery stuff inside the skull

• Thread starter Janitor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the practice of Jewish people wearing phylacteries, which are boxes containing scriptures worn on the forehead to symbolize having the scriptures in the front of their minds. The conversation also delves into the history of understanding the brain and its functions, including the mistaken belief that the brain's purpose was to cool the blood and that the heart was the center of the mind. It is mentioned that around 200 A.D., a person named Galen believed the brain was responsible for motor control, while Aristotle perpetuated false ideas about the brain.
Janitor
Science Advisor
I was listening to Christian talk radio this morning. The speaker said that Jewish people--or maybe it was exclusively males--sometimes wore "phylacteries." These were boxes with scriptures placed in them, and they were worn, presumably with the help of a strap, on the forehead. The speaker explained that doing this was their way of showing that they had the scriptures "in the front of their minds.”

That got me to wondering how long ago this practice started. It must have been after a general consensus was formed that that chunk of cauliflower inside the skull was the organ that did our thinking for us. When did that idea become accepted? Hundreds of years ago? Thousands?

I would think that there must have been times when a tribesman was wounded in the head by a fall from a tree or a wallop from an enemy club, such that brain damage was done. The others may have noticed that ever after, Ug talked funny and couldn’t walk in a straight line. Would that have been enough to start an oral tradition that the gelatinous gray stuff in the head was where our motor controls were located? Are there any ancient books that mention such a thing?

I no longer remember where, but I once read that there was a time when it was thought by some that the brain’s main function was to cool the blood. The heart, on the other hand, noticeably sped up under stressful conditions, leading folks to think that it was where the mind was located. Has anybody heard this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks for the links, gerben. Around 200 A.D. at least one person (Galen) figured the brain was the source of motor control. And it was Aristotle who started the false ideas of my last paragraph.

1. What is the rubbery stuff inside the skull?

The rubbery stuff inside the skull is known as the brain.

2. What is the purpose of the rubbery stuff inside the skull?

The brain is responsible for controlling and coordinating all of the body's functions and processes, including movement, sensation, thoughts, and emotions.

3. How does the rubbery stuff inside the skull work?

The brain works by sending and receiving signals through neurons, which are specialized cells that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical impulses.

4. Can the rubbery stuff inside the skull change or adapt?

Yes, the brain is constantly changing and adapting through a process called neuroplasticity. This allows the brain to form new connections and pathways in response to experiences and learning.

5. What happens if the rubbery stuff inside the skull is damaged?

If the brain is damaged, it can result in a variety of neurological disorders and impairments, depending on the area of the brain that is affected. These can include difficulties with movement, sensation, cognition, and behavior.