The reallity of my future Need guidance

In summary, the speaker has been reflecting on their past mistakes and how it may impact their future goals. They made a poor decision to grow marijuana in their condo, which resulted in a fire and legal consequences. They are concerned about how this may affect their career in Aero-Space Engineering or their passion for Cosmology and Astro Physics. They are unsure if having a sealed and expunged record will hinder their chances of being accepted into graduate programs or obtaining a position at a university. However, they are not expecting a tenured position at a prestigious university like MIT, but rather are aiming for a university in the same league as University of Arizona.
Agent M27
Lately I have been contemplating the reallity of my past and how it might pose problems for the future life I wish to lead. I am 24 now and when I was 22 I had a condo. I made a poor decision and I grew pot in my house. I had this going for 4 years or so, never sold it, just a personal set-up. Well my home caught fire after my cat knocked over a lamp while I was not home. Long story short the fire fighters found my cabinet and I was arrested. I built it to be fire proof, it kept the fire out! Anyway, like I said it was a poor decision and I went through the hoops to avoid any further hinderances.

When I applied for school last summer I first realized the long term effects of my mistake. This got me thinking how far would this effect me and what does it mean for my career. I am attending school for Aero-Space Engineering, but lately have found Cosmology and Astro Physics to be my true passion. According to my attorney anyone worth their salt can get passed a sealed and expunged record, so I did not do it. I know my chances of working for NASA or JPL are pretty much blown, but will University shun me in the same way? What about being accepted to a graduate program, can't get an University position without that. I would like to do research, and have a couple of ideas in my head that I would like to explore more in depth, but I want to make sure I am not wasting my time or money with a great degree but has a checkered past. I take that back, a degree is never a waste of time or money. I am not expecting a long tenured position at MIT or anything, but somewhere like University of Arizona and universities in the same league. Thanks in advance everyone.

Joe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agent M27 said:
I know my chances of working for NASA or JPL are pretty much blown

Unless you've actually applied and been rejected, I don't think having a minor drug conviction is going to be the kiss of death. As long as you aren't actively using, it should be at most a minor issue

What about being accepted to a graduate program, can't get an University position without that.

I don't think anyone is going to care.

I am not expecting a long tenured position at MIT or anything, but somewhere like University of Arizona and universities in the same league.

1) Don't go into graduate school expecting a tenured faculty position at any research university. They are extremely scarce.

2) Don't make any assumptions about "leagues." As far as astronomy research goes, University of Arizona is in the same league (and as far as observational optical astronomy goes probably in a higher league) than MIT, and it's about as hard to get a graduate or faculty position there as MIT.

Thank you for sharing your concerns about the potential impact of your past actions on your future career in science. It is understandable that you may feel anxious about the potential consequences of your past mistake, but I want to assure you that there is always room for redemption and growth in the scientific community.

First and foremost, I want to commend you for acknowledging your mistake and taking the necessary steps to address it. I understand that it may have been a difficult and humbling experience, but it shows maturity and responsibility on your part. It is important to remember that we all make mistakes, and what truly matters is how we learn from them and move forward.

In terms of your future career prospects, I want to reassure you that your past mistake does not define you as a scientist or as a person. While it is true that some organizations, like NASA or JPL, may have stricter hiring policies and may require a clean record, there are many other avenues for you to pursue your passion for cosmology and astrophysics. Universities, in general, tend to have more lenient hiring policies and may place more importance on your academic qualifications and research experience.

Furthermore, your degree and academic achievements will speak for themselves when it comes to graduate school applications. Graduate programs typically prioritize academic excellence and research potential over a person's past mistakes. It is also worth noting that many graduate programs have a holistic approach to admissions, taking into consideration a candidate's personal experiences and growth.

In terms of research opportunities, I encourage you to continue exploring your ideas and pursuing your passion for science. Your past mistake does not invalidate your potential as a researcher. In fact, it may even give you a unique perspective and drive to succeed. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors or mentors in your field of interest and discuss your concerns with them. They may be able to offer advice and support as you navigate your career.

In conclusion, I want to remind you that your past does not determine your future. With hard work, dedication, and a positive attitude, you can achieve your goals and have a successful career in science. I wish you all the best in your academic and professional pursuits.

1. What is the importance of understanding the reality of my future?

Understanding the reality of your future is crucial because it allows you to make informed decisions and plan for the future. It also helps you set realistic goals and expectations, and can prevent you from being blindsided by unexpected events.

2. How can I determine the reality of my future?

Determining the reality of your future involves taking an honest and objective look at your current situation, your strengths and weaknesses, and the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead. It also involves gathering information and seeking guidance from trusted sources.

3. Can the reality of my future change?

Yes, the reality of your future can change. While certain aspects may be out of your control, you have the power to make choices and take actions that can alter your future. It's important to regularly reassess and adjust your plans as needed.

4. How can I prepare for the reality of my future?

Preparing for the reality of your future involves setting realistic goals, making a plan, and taking action. It also involves being open to learning and adapting, as well as being resilient in the face of challenges and setbacks.

5. What are some common challenges people face when trying to understand the reality of their future?

Some common challenges include fear of the unknown, difficulty accepting change, and feeling overwhelmed by the future. It's important to acknowledge and address these challenges, and seek support and guidance when needed.