1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The relation between Electric Field and Electric Potential

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field and the electric potential at a point are E and V respectively.
    (a) If E=0, V must be 0
    (b) If V=0, E must be 0
    (c) If E≠0, V cannot be 0
    (d) If V≠0, E cannot be 0

2. Relevant equations

E = V/d

3. The attempt at a solution

I basically substituted the value of E and V as 0 in respective cases, but ended up getting (a) and (b) as true. I know this is a very fundamental question, but I just can't figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

In your question, V is the absolute potential at the given point while electric field E=potential difference/d.

4. Jul 1, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does any one of them have to be true?

It looks like there are pairs of them which are logically equivalent.

5. Jul 1, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Te electric field E and electric potential V are two separate functions. Although the potential depends on the electric field, they are not proportional and the potential depends on the integral of the electric field over a path. The forum rules don't allow simply giving the answer, but the answer is quite simple. @SammyS The pairs are not logically equivalent. The equation the OP presents that E=V/d does have precise proportionality between E and V, but this equation is very misleading because it does not apply in general. It is for the special case of an ideal capacitor and E is the uniform electric field between the plates and V is the voltage drop across the plates. The equation really does not apply here, and the capacitor equation does not give V at any location between the plates where the E field is present. Although it looks like the right equation, it is totally irrelevant to this problem.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. Jul 1, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you saying that there is no pair that are not logically equivalent?

From a pure logic point of view.

(P implies Q) is logically equivalent to ((not Q) implies (not P)) .

It appears to me that we can find cases where one of these statements is the contrapositive of another.

7. Jul 1, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

@SammyS It is somewhat difficult to answer your question without giving out the complete answer (at least what I am pretty certain is the correct answer), but none of the statements contains logical equivalence. To just give a counterexample for statement "d", a charged hollow conducting sphere has E=0 throughout the entire interior, but V is not equal to zero.... editing.. And to give the OP something that might help them answer "b" and "c", what is the V and E for the point midway between two electrical charges of +Q and -Q? And I think the example I gave for "d" can also be used to answer "a".

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted