What Is the Drude-Lorentz Model in Relation to Permittivity and Conductivity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
thefireman
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I have an relation between permittivity and conductivity as follows:

[tex]\epsilon(\omega) = 1 + \frac{4\pi\iota\sigma(\omega)}{\omega}[/tex]

Yet am unclear as to how it was derived. Does this relationship have a name and/or derivation to follow through somewhere? also, I believe it is cgs units, what is the SI equivalent?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
thefireman said:
I have an relation between permittivity and conductivity as follows:

[tex]\epsilon(\omega) = 1 + \frac{4\pi\iota\sigma(\omega)}{\omega}[/tex]

Yet am unclear as to how it was derived. Does this relationship have a name and/or derivation to follow through somewhere? also, I believe it is cgs units, what is the SI equivalent?

Thanks

Hi thefireman! :smile:

(i think you just leave out the 4π … or is it 4πe0 ? … to get SI units)

this looks a bit like like the "complex permittivity" definition …

[tex]\hat{\epsilon}(\omega)\ =\ \epsilon(\omega) + \frac{\iota\sigma(\omega)}{\omega}[/tex] is the "complex permittivity"

… see eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permittivity#Lossy_medium

… but with a different notation