Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The relationship of wire diameter and electricity produced

1. Feb 13, 2017 #1
    im doing some personal research into building my own generator. i am looking for info on how wire diameter affects the power produced by the generator. specificaly: what AWG of wire is best for coils that are being used to generate as clost to the statdard killowatt/hour as possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that doesn't really make sense ..... there is no standard kilowatt hrs

generators would normally be designed to produce a given voltage and capable of a maximum current capability

4. Feb 13, 2017 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Wire size is most associated with maximum current.

But there is the problem of physically winding a coil. The thicker the wire, the larger the radius to the outermost winding. Equivalently, within the same volume and form factor for a coil, the thicker the wire the smaller the number of turns. It is not easy to calculate performance with alternate designs.

I have seen online calculators that aid with DIY transformer design. Perhaps there is something similar for generators. Try searching for "online generator design calculator"

5. Feb 13, 2017 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The design of a DC generator will be very similar to a DC motor. Do you plan a DC generator or an AC alternator?
    Here is an AWG wire table that gives diameter, ampacity etc; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

6. Feb 14, 2017 #5
    It was some decades ago already, but as I recall in this regard generators works ~ the same way as transformers. The core parameters together with the frequency determines the maximal power: the maximal power and the available cross section for wire together fits with the wire thickness and turns in the coil.

So there is no real 'standard' or 'optimal': within the available cross section you can more or less freely trade between thick wire/high current/low voltage to thin wire/low current/high voltage.

You should think around the parameter 'Turns per Square Inch of Insulated Wire'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted