What is the Lagrangian for geodesics in Schwarzschild coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discussed methods for solving the geodesics of the Schwarzschild metric, specifically the use of Christoffel symbols and the variational principle. The goal is to find the geodesic equations in order to determine the shortest distance or maximum proper time between two points in spacetime. Both methods involve using the metric tensor and derivatives to find the Christoffel symbols, but the first method of using the Euler-Lagrange equations is less time consuming.
Demon117
For pure interest I have been trying to solve for the geodesics of the Schwarzschild metric. To do so I know I need to find the explicit Lagrangian for the variational principle for geodesics in this spacetime in Schwarzschild coordinates. How do I derive this lagrangian?

I know that the proper time along a timelike world line between two points in spacetime is

[tex]\sqrt {[-g_{{\alpha \beta }} \left( x \right) {{\it dx}}^{\alpha}{{
\it dx}}^{\beta}]} \left( B-A \right)[/tex]

But how do I use this and what does it end up telling me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly do it that way, but why not skip a few steps and write down the geodesic equations immediately using Christoffel symbols, as described in any GR textbook.

A good explanation of this variational process can be found in Carroll (free online), ch3 I think although not 100% sure. It's not a Lagrangian your after here, it's just that the geodesics are "shortest distance", or as Carroll does maximize proper time...so you want to use Calculus of variations techniques to extrematise the functional you have written. You often get the Christoffel symbols by doing this process too.

You can solve the euler lagrange equations for the geodesics as extremal paths using the line element with factors of 1/2 which give you the geodesic equations or you can just find the Christoffel symbols based on its definition in terms of the derivatives of the metric tensor. Its up to you really but the first method is less time consuming for me at least.

1. What is the schwarzschild solution?

The schwarzschild solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describes the gravitational field outside a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass.

2. Who is the schwarzschild solution named after?

The schwarzschild solution is named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzschild, who first derived the solution in 1916.

3. What is the significance of the schwarzschild solution?

The schwarzschild solution is significant because it was the first exact solution to Einstein's field equations and helped to confirm the predictions of general relativity, such as the bending of light by massive objects.

4. Does the schwarzschild solution have any real-world applications?

Yes, the schwarzschild solution is used in astrophysics to model the gravitational field of stars, planets, and other celestial objects. It is also used in the study of black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to the schwarzschild solution?

Yes, the schwarzschild solution is only valid for non-rotating, spherically symmetric masses. It also does not take into account quantum effects, which are important at very small scales.