The second law of thermodynamics and evolution

In summary, this article discusses a paper that was withdrawn before publication because of Evolutionists. The author makes ridiculous arguments to 'prove' his points.
Monsterboy
Mod note:
The link in the original post contained a link to a crackpot, anti-evolution website (against our rules) that discusses a rejected paper (also against our rules). This link has been removed. Here's a link to Retraction Watch that covers the same (retracted) paper: http://retractionwatch.com/2011/03/...per-questioning-second-law-of-thermodynamics/.

<Crackpot link deleted>

Sorry to bring up this topic , I am currently involved in a debate , this seems to be the point where I got stuck , if anyone has read this paper that is mentioned in the article above and know why it got removed and why it is wrong please share the details and explain it. Is the author a well known creationist crank ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
If the quotes from the article are an indication of what he wrote, I would consider him a crackpot.

After viewing the site and it's links, I would not treat it as a respectable site either. There are links to Intelligent Design being an actual scientific theory and articles about how students should "question everything" - meaning evolution. The final conclusion for the article you listed also talks about the "right way to challenge" evolution.

Borg said:
ZapperZ wrote an Insights post about the Evolution-Entropy nonsense - Imagination Without Knowledge Is Ignorance Waiting to Happen.
Yes , thanks I have understood the stupidity of the idea but this article claims that the paper was peer reviewed and then removed because of "evolutionists" , that's why I started this thread.

You also asked why it is wrong. The author makes ridiculous arguments to 'prove' his points. I.E. there is no evidence that DNA, auto parts, etc. entered the atmosphere in the past, therefore the increase in order on Earth cannot be explained properly. I have no idea what the peer review process of the publication is or was but I know that many sites like that allow just about anything to be 'published' as long as they get paid.

Last edited:
Borg said:
You also asked why it is wrong. The author makes ridiculous strawman arguments to 'prove' his points. I.E. there is no evidence that DNA, auto parts, etc. entered the atmosphere in the past, therefore the increase in order on Earth cannot be explained properly. I have no idea what the peer review process of the publication is or was but I know that many sites like that allow just about anything to be 'published' as long as they get paid.
Yes , I understood that the "scrap metal and computer" argument is totally wrong.

Yes, Granville Sewell is a mathematician and a well-known 'Intelligent Design' advocate. His paper did indeed sneak past peer review (I can't fathom how, but it did all the same), but was withdrawn before publication. See here for the withdrawal notice:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0893965911000243
The paper itself can be found hosted on the University of Texas' website, where Sewell is a professor:
http://www.math.utep.edu/Faculty/sewell/AML_3497.pdf

The 'paper', and I use scare quotes because it's not much more than an opinion piece that starts with an a priori conclusion, and no actual maths to speak of, basically argues the same faulty reasoning that has been argued many times by the anti-evolution crowd: that it is impossible for complexity to appear 'just like that', therefore it could not emerge at all.

The references section of the Wikipedia article on Sewell contains links to a number of thorough refutations of his arguments, including this one:
http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/does_evolution_have_a_thermodynamics_problem

Likes Monsterboy
there is no increase in order in the thermodynamic sense when organisms become more complex, entropy is disorder at the molecular level, so even if our bodies are more complicated than a microbe, the entropy at the molecular level does not decrease ,our bodies generates more entropy than bacteria (per unit mass) as we continuously emit IR radiation from our body after consuming higher grade energy. Our bodies continuously generate entropy ,is that correct ?

Last edited:
Monsterboy said:
Our bodies continuously generate entropy ,is that correct ?
You are "cooking/metabolizing with gas." Yes.

Thread closed for moderation.

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any closed system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. This means that energy is constantly being converted into less usable forms, leading to a decrease in the overall organization and efficiency of the system.

2. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to evolution?

The second law of thermodynamics can be applied to the process of evolution by natural selection. As organisms evolve and become more complex, they require more energy to maintain their organization. This energy ultimately comes from the sun and is converted into chemical energy through photosynthesis. However, this process also produces heat and increases the overall entropy of the system.

3. Does the second law of thermodynamics disprove evolution?

No, the second law of thermodynamics does not disprove evolution. While it does state that entropy will increase over time, this only applies to closed systems. The Earth is not a closed system as it receives a constant influx of energy from the sun, allowing for the increase in complexity and organization seen in evolution.

4. Can the second law of thermodynamics be observed in living organisms?

Yes, the second law of thermodynamics can be observed in living organisms. As organisms consume and convert energy, they also produce heat and increase the overall entropy of the system. This is why living organisms require a constant intake of energy to maintain their organization and complexity.

5. Is the second law of thermodynamics a hindrance to the theory of evolution?

No, the second law of thermodynamics is not a hindrance to the theory of evolution. In fact, it is necessary for the process of evolution to occur. Without the constant increase of entropy in the system, there would be no driving force for organisms to evolve and adapt to their changing environments.