Second Law of Thermodynamics and Sociology

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the second law of thermodynamics and how it relates to evolution and the development of societies. It also highlights the impact of human involvement on natural systems and the question of whether societies also become more disordered over time. The speaker shares their personal perspective on the importance of not interfering with nature and expresses interest in further research on the topic.
NWH
To the layman 2nd law of thermodynamics states that over time systems become more "disordered." You hear a lot of people trying to argue that Evolution contradicts the second law of thermodynamics, which we all know isn't the case. But, I find it interesting that while a species has managed to evolve to the point where we're intelligent enough to explore space, our societies still aren't perfect and are chaotic as ever. As we add to our world wide society we take away from many other wildlife and weather systems on this planet which as of right now are becoming more chaotic as we speak, animal extinction, polition, climate change, natural disasters, war, and so forth.

If there's one lesson I've lerned in life it's, "not to mess with nature." I always find that the more I try to involve my self with other issues the more likely it is that my involvement will make those issues worse. After reading a quick page on thermodynamics I find it interesting how easy it is to make comparisons to it in the evolution of species and development of societies.

Does sociology have anything to say about this? Do societies tend to become more disordered over time as well? Something I might have to do some research on, pretty interesting I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
NWH said:
Do societies tend to become more disordered over time as well? Something I might have to do some research on, pretty interesting I think.
That's a question that can't be answered.

1. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics and how does it relate to sociology?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. In sociology, this can be applied to social systems, as they also tend to become more disordered and chaotic over time. This law highlights the natural tendency for societies to move towards disorder and decay.

2. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics explain social inequality?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics can help explain social inequality by showing how it is a natural result of social systems moving towards disorder. As resources become scarce, those with more power and privilege are able to maintain their position while those with less are more likely to experience social and economic inequality.

3. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be applied to human behavior?

Yes, the Second Law of Thermodynamics can be applied to human behavior. People are a part of social systems and are therefore subject to the same laws that govern those systems. This law can help explain certain patterns of behavior, such as self-interest and competition, that contribute to the disorder and decay of social systems.

4. Is there any way to counteract the effects of the Second Law of Thermodynamics on society?

While it may not be possible to completely counteract the effects of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, societies can implement strategies and systems to slow the rate of disorder and decay. This can include promoting social justice, sustainability, and cooperation to counteract the natural tendency for social systems to become more disordered over time.

5. Are there any criticisms of applying the Second Law of Thermodynamics to sociology?

Some critics argue that applying the Second Law of Thermodynamics to sociology oversimplifies complex social systems and ignores the role of human agency and intervention. Additionally, there are debates about the applicability of this law to social systems, as it was originally developed to explain physical phenomena. However, many sociologists find this law useful in understanding and analyzing the dynamics of social systems.