The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, NOVA features a series of videos profiling different scientists and engineers and their hobbies outside of their fields of study. The definition of "scientist" seems to be broad, including a "leech expert" and a "teen astronomer." This idea challenges the perception that scientists are solely focused on their work. Some question who decides on these shows, and one person on a forum likened it to the ClearBlue commercial featuring an "expert" on pregnancy tests. This leads to the speculation of a potential profile on Carl Sagan as a "cannabis expert."
~christina~
Gold Member
I was watching NOVA today and they mentioned a series of videos featuring different scientists and engineers. Basically, they describe what they did on their free time when not involved in their field of study.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/secretlife/scientists/neil-degrasse-tyson/
-To see the videos featuring the different individuals, click their pictures on the left side of the page

In my opinion, the people behind NOVA used a broad definition of the word "scientist" when choosing the people that were featured on the profiles. There's a "leech expert" (not sure how one becomes one of these), a "teen astronomer," and a physics student. But then again, maybe I'm just being critical.

It is interesting to note that the whole idea of the video profiles (of which I assume when they get enough, will turn into a show) implies that scientists and engineers are not thought of as normal individuals but rather some different species which only focus on their respective fields. :rolleyes: That leads me along the path of wondering who comes up with these shows in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's "free time"?

~christina~ said:
There's a "leech expert" (not sure how one becomes one of these)

Reminds me of Claire, the ClearBlue expert from the TV commercials. As someone on another site said, "How many times do you have to piss on a stick before you're an expert?" :rolleyes:

Pengwuino said:
What's "free time"?
You don't do anything but do physics research, bird? :tongue:

they going to do one on Sagan as a cannabis expert ? :tongue2:

1. What is "The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers"?

"The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers" is a PBS web series that profiles individuals in the science and engineering fields, highlighting their personal lives and interests outside of their professional work.

2. Why was "The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers" created?

The series was created to humanize scientists and engineers, and to show that they are more than just their work. It aims to break stereotypes and inspire viewers to pursue careers in STEM fields.

3. Who are some notable scientists and engineers featured on the show?

Some notable individuals featured on the show include astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, oceanographer Sylvia Earle, and computer scientist and Google executive Vint Cerf.

4. How can I watch "The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers"?

The series is available to watch for free on the PBS website, as well as on the PBS app and various streaming platforms such as YouTube and Amazon Prime Video.

5. How many episodes are there in "The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers"?

As of 2021, there are over 200 episodes of the series, featuring a diverse range of scientists and engineers from various backgrounds and disciplines.