The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers

~christina~
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was watching NOVA today and they mentioned a series of videos featuring different scientists and engineers. Basically, they describe what they did on their free time when not involved in their field of study.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/secretlife/scientists/neil-degrasse-tyson/
-To see the videos featuring the different individuals, click their pictures on the left side of the page

In my opinion, the people behind NOVA used a broad definition of the word "scientist" when choosing the people that were featured on the profiles. There's a "leech expert" (not sure how one becomes one of these), a "teen astronomer," and a physics student. But then again, maybe I'm just being critical.

It is interesting to note that the whole idea of the video profiles (of which I assume when they get enough, will turn into a show) implies that scientists and engineers are not thought of as normal individuals but rather some different species which only focus on their respective fields. :rolleyes: That leads me along the path of wondering who comes up with these shows in the first place.

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
What's "free time"?

Danger
Gold Member
There's a "leech expert" (not sure how one becomes one of these)
Reminds me of Claire, the ClearBlue expert from the TV commercials. As someone on another site said, "How many times do you have to piss on a stick before you're an expert?" :rolleyes:

~christina~
Gold Member
What's "free time"?
You don't do anything but do physics research, bird? :tongue:

they gonna do one on Sagan as a cannabis expert ? :tongue2: