1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The set of 4-degree polynomials (Linear algebra)

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If P is the set of all 4-degree polynomials, and W is the subset of all 4-degree polynomials such that p(-2) = p(2), find a set S such that W = span(S).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My guess is that one set that works is x^4, x^2, and 1. My reasoning is that if x^3 is included, then you could take the coefficients of everything to be zero, and (-2)^3 =/= 2^3. Can't include x for similar reasons.

Really not sure, I feel like it is possible to construct a polynomial where p(-2) = p(2) but does include an x^3 or an x.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, 'I feel like' doesn't really help. Why don't you try and construct a polynomial such that ax^3+bx=p(x) and p(2)=p(-2)? Since you only have one restriction on the five dimensional subspace P, you really would expect W to have dimension 4.

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    ah, it took me a while but i got one.

x^3 + 3x^2 - 4x - 12

i guess i don't really understand the question then. how could such a set be constructed?

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It took too long because you were working too hard. You already know the span of 1, x^2 and x^4 are in W. The question you asked, and suspected is true, is whether a combination of x and x^3 are in W. If p(x)=ax^3+bx, then p(2)=8a+2b., p(-2)=(-8a-2b). The condition for them to be equal is 4a+b=0, right? So right again, you should include x^3-4x in the spanning vectors. You didn't need to fuss with the even power terms. You already know they work.

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    oh, i see. it makes perfect sense now. oh well, i guess i will just get part marks for that question then... thanks for the explanation.

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A general fourth degree polynomial is of the form [itex]p(x)= ax^4+ bx^3+ cx^2+ dx+ e[/itex]. Then the condition that p(2)= p(-2) is that [itex]p(2)= 16a+ 8b+ 4c+ 2d+ e= p(-2)= 16a- 8b+ 4c- 2d+ e[/itex]. a, c, and e cancel immediately leaving [itex]8b+ 2d= -8b- 2d[itex] or [itex]16b+ 4d= 0[/itex]. That reduces to d= -4b while a, c, and e can be anything. Taking a= 1, b= c= d= e= 0 gives [itex]x^4[/itex]. Taking b= 1, a= c= e= 0, d= -4 gives [itex]x^3- 4x[/itex]. Taking c= 1, a= b= d= e= 0 gives [itex]x^2[/itex]. Taking e= 1, a= b= c= d= 0 gives [itex]1[/itex]. A basis for this space is {[itex]x^4[/itex], [itex]x^3- 4x[/itex], [itex]x^2[/itex], 1}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook