The significance of commutation

In summary, Green explains that if an atom emits a photon with angular velocity ω, it has energy Ei before the emission and Ef after, so Ei - Ef = ħω. If H is hermitian, then ψi*H = ψi*Ei.
snoopies622
I'm in chapter two of H. S. Green's Matrix Mechanics and at a sticking point. In section 2.2 he gives the following scenario:

An atom emits a photon with angular velocity ω, it has energy Ei before the emission and Ef after, so Ei - Ef = ħω. (That I can understand.) ψi and ψf are eigenvectors of the energy operator H, while Ei and Ef are their corresponding eigenvalues, respectively. He then gives this equation, where A is "any observable":

ψf * (AH-HA) ψi = ( Ei - Ef ) ψ f * A ψ i.

Although he briefly mentions commutation a couple paragraphs before this point, it's not enough to explain where this relationship comes from.

Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, commutation in this case is [A,H] = AH - HA. If it is equal to 0, it is said that the 2 operators, H and A, commute, that is they share eigenfunctions. Otherwise, they do not share eigenfunctions as this problem kinda shows. Getting to the meat of the problem, [tex]\psi ^f (AH - HA)\psi ^i = \psi ^f AH\psi ^i - \psi ^f HA\psi ^i [/tex]. Now the important part is that since H is hermitian, it can act to the left in the second term, that is [tex]\psi ^f HA\psi ^i = \psi ^f E^f A\psi ^i = E^f \psi ^f A\psi ^i [/tex]. You can't do anything with A since you don't know what it is and that is how you get the right hand side.

I think I follow..

i = Eiψi implies ψi*H = ψi*Ei

and this is true because H is Hermitian?

Yes. The reason is that:

[tex]H|\Psi^i\rangle = E^i|\Psi^i\rangle[/tex]
so taking the adjoint gives
[tex](H|\Psi^i\rangle)^\dagger = \langle \Psi^i|H [/tex]
on the left hand side, and
[tex](E^i|\Psi^i\rangle)^\dagger = \langle \Psi^i|(E^i)^* = \langle \Psi^i|E^i [/tex]
on the right hand side (the fact that all eigenvalues are real is crucial).

Mathematically, it's a bit sloppy, since the adjoint of a vector doesn't exist. The conclusion is correct, nevertheless ;).

Got it. :smile: Thank you both.

What is commutation and why is it significant?

Commutation refers to the process of changing the direction of an electric current. It is significant because it allows for the efficient and reliable operation of electrical machines, such as motors and generators, by enabling the flow of current in a specific direction.

How does commutation work?

Commutation works by using a commutator, which is a mechanical switch that changes the connection between the armature windings and the external circuit. This allows for the reversal of current direction in the armature, resulting in a continuous and unidirectional flow of current.

What are the different types of commutation?

There are two main types of commutation: mechanical commutation and electronic commutation. Mechanical commutation uses a physical switch, such as a commutator, to change the direction of current. Electronic commutation, on the other hand, uses electronic components, such as transistors, to control the current flow.

What are the advantages of electronic commutation over mechanical commutation?

Electronic commutation has several advantages over mechanical commutation. It allows for more precise control of current direction and speed, is more reliable and requires less maintenance, and is more energy efficient.

How does commutation impact the performance of electrical machines?

Commutation plays a crucial role in the performance of electrical machines. It determines the speed, torque, and efficiency of motors and generators. Proper commutation is essential for the smooth and efficient operation of these machines.