The significance of material science and technology

In summary, the speaker is a second year student studying electronical engineering and is interested in nanotechnology. They are trying to add a class called "Material Science and Technology" from the chemistry department to their curriculum. They are asking for information on how this class could contribute to their knowledge and if it is necessary for an electronical engineering student. Another person suggests asking the professor for a course syllabus and shares their own experience with related courses being useful in their work as an engineer. The speaker mentions trying to reach the professor for more information but was unable to and is now seeking advice from experienced individuals.
alper0407
Hi people,
Firstly I want to state that it will be my first message in this forum, I am new around here. I am studying electronical engineering, second year student. I am kind of interested in nanotechnology, hence I am trying to add the course whose name is "Material Science and Technology" eventhough the cirruculum of engineering does not contain that class which is in fact belongt to chemistry department. I would be really gladful if you guys inform me about the things that the class might contribute to my knowledge or the necessity of the class for the student of electronical engineering.
Thank you all..
Have a nice day..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask the professor for a course syllabus. I took basic materials science (mostly an introduction to metalurgy) and semiconductor devices (quantum electronics, field and waves, and material science). Both courses have proven useful in my work as an engineer and patent expert. Find the professor with knowledge in an area and ask a few questions. I used to go to my Semiconductor Prof during office hours, and he said, "You ask good questions, so I want you to ask these in class." I went to work after graduation and the guy sitting next to me said, "Hey, you were in my Semiconductors class? No offense, but you asked a lot of stupid questions!"

Thanks for your answer. I already tried to reach the professor in order to ask critical questions about the reliability of the course by e-mail and face-to-face, but I could not access to him neither way. That's why I open the topic to get knowledge from experienced people like you. Funny situation you went through, by the way. :)

What is material science and technology?

Material science and technology is a field of study that explores the properties and behavior of different materials, and how they can be manipulated and used to create new and improved products and technologies.

Why is material science and technology important?

Material science and technology has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it contributes to the development of new and improved materials and technologies that make our lives easier and more efficient. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as healthcare, transportation, and energy production.

How does material science and technology contribute to sustainability?

Material science and technology has a crucial role to play in promoting sustainability by developing materials that are more durable, energy-efficient, and eco-friendly. This field also helps in finding alternative sources of energy and reducing waste in manufacturing processes.

What are some examples of material science and technology in action?

Examples of material science and technology in action include the development of lightweight and high-strength materials for use in aircraft and cars, the creation of new medical devices and drug delivery systems, and the production of renewable energy technologies such as solar cells and wind turbines.

What are the future advancements in material science and technology?

The future of material science and technology is very promising, with ongoing research and development in areas such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, and smart materials. These advancements have the potential to revolutionize industries and further improve the quality of life for individuals and society as a whole.