1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    Hello All,

In this recent Navy publication, a team of researchers said they have discovered cusp confinement. This could be a major step towards fusion power. I am working on a write up of this publication. I am trying to understand their inferometry data. As far as I can tell, the plasma was made of (in order by strength):

1. Electrons (likely the greatest component)
    2. Hydrogen ions/neutrals
    3. Carbon
    4. A noble gas of some kind
    5. Air/junk (negligible amount)

These things were probably (+), (-) and neutrals.

Does anyone have the spectrum for a pure electron plasma?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plasmas usally are macroscopically electrically neutral, consisting of electrons and ions from the original atoms.

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    This experiment specifically went for (-) plasma; AKA the "quasineutral" assumption does not apply. The Navy/LANL team injected 3 amps of electrons for 150 microseconds at 7,200 volts. This is what the device looked like compared to earlier (2005) experiments:

cyDAfGe.png

This was inside a cube vacuum chamber, 45 cm a side. The electron guns were the blue objects. The plasma guns are in red. For a shot, the Navy had control of three variables: (1) plasma gun (2) electron gun and (3) the containing magnetic field. Here is a timeline of one shot:

2SCouXH.png

This experiment had five stages to it:

1. Control - The chamber is under vacuum (no pressure is given) and magnetic fields are on.

2. Injection - This is when the electron and plasma guns are switched on.

3. Formation

4. High Beta Mode - This is the fabled "cusped plasma confinement"; long predicted, never observed.

5. Dissipation

The navy is proving all of this by interpreting the radiation off of the cloud. For example their hard X-ray data shows high plasma confinement.

RGKwxu2.png

Much of their data comes from shielded detectors, reading a light signal. In visible, X-ray, ect.. I need a better understanding of expected output from a plasma cloud like this. For example, if the cloud was just deuterium the light coming off of it would look like this:

GBvWhvO.png

In this case, the navy blocked all but the H-Alpha line. That is the spike at 656 nanometers.

Unfortunately, I can only guess at what the plasma was made of (see my list above). The odd component was carbon. Normally, the system would be deuterium, deuterium+, electrons and a trace of junk. They injected carbon. Finally, I know there are formulas to predict these spectra and that maybe a good place to start.

5. Nov 11, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won't try to answer your question, since it is not an area of expertise for me. However my guess is that how the plasma is generated would be a major determining factor.

6. Nov 11, 2014 #5
    A pure electron plasma doesn't have a spectrum. You need some other ion species in there. There are two major types of light emission from a plasma: line emission and bremsstrahlung. Line emission comes from electrons bound to nuclei, so there is none from free electrons. Bremsstrahlung comes from the interaction between two different species in a plasma, such as electrons and hydrogen ions. You don't get bremsstrahlung from a pure electron plasma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook