The speed of sound in nothing but a suit

In summary, Cheryl Stearns is attempting to break the record for the longest freefall, from a height of 130,000 feet.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... Kittinger floated to 102,800 feet (31,333 meters) in Excelsior III...then he stepped out of his gondola into the darkness of space. After falling for 13 seconds, his six-foot (1.8-meter) canopy parachute opened and stabilized his fall, preventing the flat spin that could have killed him. Only four minutes and 36 seconds more were needed to bring him down to about 17,500 feet (5,334 meters) where his regular 28-foot (8.5-meter) parachute opened, allowing him to float the rest of the way to Earth. His descent set another record for the longest parachute freefall.

During his descent, he reached speeds up to 614 miles per hour, approaching the speed of sound without the protection of an aircraft or space vehicle
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Explorers_Record_Setters_and_Daredevils/Kittinger/EX31.htm [Broken]

Some sources claim that he actually broke the sound barrier!
On August 16, 1960, Kittinger jumped his last Excelsior jump, doing so from an air-thin height of 102,800 feet (31,334 meters). From that nearly 20 miles altitude, his tumble toward terra firma took some 4 minutes and 36 seconds. Exceeding the speed of sound during the fall, Kittinger used a small stabilizing chute before a larger, main parachute opened in the denser atmosphere.

Which comes from this article on the new sport of spacediving
...To the general public, spacediving might seem impossible, Sheerin said, as most think everything coming back from space burns up on reentry.
http://www.space.com/images/h_kitt_03,0.jpg [Broken]
[credit: NASA]
"If you look at the lower energies involved for suborbital flight, compared to orbital speeds, you realize that material and technology of today can turn spacediving from a suicide jump into a very survivable extreme sport," Sheerin said...
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_diving_010608-1.html [Broken]

It has always been my dream to have a re-entry suit. Base jumpers, eat your hearts out! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does he have a squashed chicken on his bum?

That acts as his low drag chute.

... hang on to the legs...

Terminal velocity =: energy lost to drag = energy gained from gravity and change in height.
Or drag force = gravity.

If the drag is low and dense enough then terminal velocity can exceed the speed of sound (a compression wave in the medium).

Note that aerodynamic drag grow as the square of the velocity subsonic and even faster supersonic.

If the air is thin enough an object in free fall could go supersonic.
This would depend on shape (drag factor) size (surface are) and density (relative to media and total mass)

The British WW II Grand Slam 10,000 Kg bombs is supersonic even at level.

wolram said:
Why does he have a squashed chicken on his bum?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Embedded there from his first landing in a barnyard.

as most think everything coming back from space burns up on reentry.
If something is de-orbiting from 17,000 mph, then yes, there is sufficient heating to deep roast someone. :rofl: The heating on the SR-71 at Mach 3 is significant, even at 85,000+ ft.

If one is suborbital and starts at zero speed, then one could probably survive. I wouldn't mind giving it a try. :biggrin:

I doubt you could survive it from too much higher than he did it. SR-71 pilots would be cooked without substantial air conditioning as the skin temp even at 2,000mph and 85,000 feet is 900 degrees. If the air is thin and doesn't inhibit acceleration much, you can go from zero to 2000mph in about 90 seconds, consuming 130,000 feet of altitude. Perhaps a parachute would help, but I suspect if you jumped from 200,000 feet, there wouldn't be enough drag in freefall to keep your speed down until you got to that thicker air at 80,000 feet.

... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: are you guys really trying to say its impossible after the guy did it??

slugcountry said:
... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: are you guys really trying to say its impossible after the guy did it??

Another sad example of everyone believeing what they read, without even thinking if its legit...

Read what I said, slugcountry... I said it probably isn't possible from too much higher than he did it. People are also talking about other things, like re-entry from orbit at orbital speed or altitude. This guy just jumped from 102,800 feet (nowhere near orbit) and zero speed.

Last edited:
I agreee with Russ

This guy is wearing a suit that at first protected him from the cold at that altitude. At lower altitudes and higher speed it would protect him from the effects of the atmosphere trying to pull his skin off.

I never said i didnt agree with you...

I'll have to work up to this - :tongue2: :biggrin:

Space Parachuting: Skydiving from the Edge
http://www.dropzone.com/news/SpaceParachutingSkydivin.shtml [Broken]

The StratoQuest mission features world champion skydiver, Cheryl Stearns. She too seeks to break the Kittinger record by dropping to Earth from 130,000 feet (40,000 meters).

Stearns is no newcomer to breaking new ground in the air. A commercial airline captain on Boeing 737's, at 13,050 skydives and climbing, she has made the most jumps of any woman in the world, with some 30 world records under her helmet.

Carried by balloon to above 99 percent of the Earth's atmosphere, Stearns will wear a customized pressurized space suit. Her freefall velocity may exceed the speed of sound, heading toward Mach 1.3. Maintaining a head down position will get her through transonic, and supersonic speed regimes. But as she begins to enter heavier atmosphere, a dangerous transonic phase comes again. At this point, her skydiving skills are to be tested in order to maintain stability until parachute deployment.
http://www.stratoquest.com/mission1.html
http://www.stratoquest.com/cheryl1.html

HIGH ALTITUDE LOW OPENING
http://www.halojumper.com/

Jump Details
Jumps are generally on Sunday and Monday mornings. (Note: 30,000 ft. Night Jumps are available also.).

Jumps are scheduled from the beginning of May and continue through October.

Jumpers assemble at 8:00 am, receive a short briefing from the Jumpmaster and then don their equipment. After two Jumpmaster safety checks and several practice emergency ripcord pulls, the group will proceed to the hangar for seat assignment and to start the Pre-Breathing.

20-30 minutes of Pre-Breathing will be completed in the King Air at which time Mr. Mullins (pilot) will be requested. At 30-35 minutes the King Air will begin its ascent to 30,000 ft. The ascent to FL300 (30,000ft) will be fast - between 17 and 19 minutes. Your Pre-Breathing time will be 47-56 minutes.

Physiological Flight Training (PFT) is recommended but not required. If you have the opportunity to take this training, I highly recommend it. You have the opportunity to discover your individual limitations, strengths, and tolerances. Section 6-7, "High Altitude and Oxygen Use" of the USPA 2003 SIMS, pages 130-133 will give you additional information. (Pages 128-131 in the 2001 -02 USPA SIMS)

United States skydiver:

1. 200 jumps/USPA "D" License equivalent.

2. Have current (within 12 months) FAA class III (3) medical certificate. A flight physical is about $30-40 and a flight surgeon or physician can be found in most metropolitan areas).

3. Made one jump from 15,000 ft with a functioning bailout oxygen system. This jump is provided in the jump fee and is part of your training class prior to your 30,000 ft jump.

4. Your reserve canopy must be current.

5. Your skydiving rig must have an in date (current) AAD. If you choose to use our rigs, you will meet this requirement, however we prefer that you use your own equipment (rig) because your comfort and confidence levels will be maximized.

We will have 6 MC-4s and MC-5s equipped with AADs for your use. You will need an extended orientation if you choose to use our rigs. Climb High / Fall safe!

It's cold up here - BUT THE VIEW IS AWESOME!

Typically, at 30,000 feet the temperature is 25-35°F below zero. At 25,000, 21°F below zero. We won't be up there long, but you will need to dress warmly. However you do not want to wear too much clothing, due to the fact that you will perspire (sweat) during the Pre-Breathing and on the ride to Altitude.

Given my work schedule, it'll take at least a year to qualify for the Halo Jump.

Fortunately, this place is not too far away and it has some wonderful scenery. I was hiking nearby just two weeks ago.
http://www.theblueskyranch.com/pricing.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a strato jump with Jetman wings. :biggrin:

What's that box for? Is that where he keeps his HUGE BALLS?

Ivan Seeking said:
How about a strato jump with Jetman wings. :biggrin:
Actually, I am thinking about something along those lines. :biggrin:

This activity expands the meaning of "may I drop in". :rofl:

Last edited:
now all we need is a space elevator. the ultimate base jump!

What's it like to dive through space at 700mph? Soon we could all have a chance to find out.

...In New Scientist magazine this week, a bizarre project has been revealed which, if it comes to fruition, will not only see Kittinger's extraordinary and little-known record smashed, but will open up near-space to a new breed of extreme sportsmen and women - people keen to get the ultimate kick by jumping not from 20, but from 30 or even 60 miles above the Earth.

Led by a consortium of extreme sports enthusiasts and entrepreneurs, the project envisages a small unmanned rocket delivering a human cargo to the edge of the Earth's atmosphere - a living cargo which will then leap into the void equipped with nothing but a spacesuit and a parachute.

It sounds like dangerous lunacy, but there is method in this madness.

One of the driving forces behind the project is Jonathan Clark, a military parachutist and NASA medic whose wife Laurel was killed in the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster in 2003.

For him, the project is less about creating a new extreme sport (although these ultimate high-dives will be open to anyone with the training and wallet necessary) than advancing the cause of astronaut safety. [continued]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ogy.html?in_article_id=488426&in_page_id=1965

For him, the project is less about creating a new extreme sport (although these ultimate high-dives will be open to anyone with the training and wallet necessary)
Damn than wallet of mine!

It takes more than 200 jumps to qualify to the level where one can jump from high altitude. It'll take some serious effort to qualify for jumping from space.

I don't see how this helps astronaut safety since craft like the shuttle are going supersonic in the upper atmosphere. Anyone exiting gets hit immediately from still air to supersonic air - which would hurt.

Anyone jumping from space will be starting near zero velocity - presumably.

It would seem prudent for astronauts to be using escape capsules rather than suits.

Astronuc said:
It takes more than 200 jumps to qualify to the level where one can jump from high altitude. It'll take some serious effort to qualify for jumping from space.
For someone just starting out sure, but I bet there's a hundred thousand people in the US with 200 jumps.

russ_watters said:
For someone just starting out sure, but I bet there's a hundred thousand people in the US with 200 jumps.
Thanks, Russ. I should have mentioned that. I was thinking about those who were starting out.

I bet there's some idiot out there that wants to jump from that height 'naked' ---and a couple (man and woman) that wants to try for another record

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves propagate through a medium, such as air or water. In a vacuum, sound waves cannot travel as there is no medium present.

Why does the speed of sound differ in different materials?

The speed of sound is dependent on the density and elasticity of the medium it is travelling through. Different materials have different densities and elasticities, resulting in varying speeds of sound.

What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, sound waves cannot travel as there is no medium present for them to propagate through. Therefore, the speed of sound in a vacuum is effectively zero.

How does the speed of sound in a suit affect the wearer?

The speed of sound in a suit can affect the wearer in various ways. For example, if the suit is made of a material with a high speed of sound, it may cause the wearer's voice to sound different or muffled. Additionally, if the suit is not airtight, the speed of sound in the suit may affect the wearer's ability to hear external sounds accurately.

Can the speed of sound in a suit be altered?

Yes, the speed of sound in a suit can be altered by changing the material of the suit or by adding or removing air pockets within the suit. This can have various effects on the wearer, as mentioned in the previous question.