The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde: Is Society to Blame?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the novel "The strange case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde" leaves many questions in the minds of its readers. Most notably, is the society to blame for the rise of evil in Dr. Jekyll, and does meditation lead to liberation from desires?
heman
I am sure most of you must have read the novel "The strange case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr. Hyde"...this novel leaves lot of questions in my mind and i find the whole culprit to be the society from the eyes of this novel...its actually the superego of the person which stops person from doing things which he wants to and finally giving rise to an evil inside him...Dr. Jekyll clearly wanted to be hyde so that he could indulge in activities which high status in societ prohibited from doing so...
This really makes me thing...
"Is this the reason people suffering?"

Physics news on Phys.org
I have all ways wanted to be a bad guy, no you have not, yes i have, no you have not.

heman said:
"Is this the reason people suffering?"
Buddha ascribed all suffering to desire. We suffer because we desire.

what a human without a Desire??

Wont the person become a dull...everything has got a desire at everylevel .

I agree with that last, heman. Even if it's just the thirst for knowledge, everyone desires something. I don't consider it strictly a human phenomenon though. Anything 'conscious' desires food, shelter, etc..

heman said:
what a human without a Desire??

Wont the person become a dull...everything has got a desire at everylevel .
Buddha sat under a tree for six years determining to rid himself of every desire for anything that wasn't right in front of him by calming his thoughts down. The more he calmed his thoughts, the less he desired things to be different than they are and the more wonderful everything around him became to him. Things didn't become duller, but richer.

Did he desire to rid himself of desire, or was it just "Gah, no cable TV for another 6 months...damn those cableguy unions...I'm so bored...hey, is that a pineapple...nah, lousy jackfruit...maybe I'll get rid of all my desire...oh, whatever..."?

zoobyshoe said:
Buddha sat under a tree for six years determining to rid himself of every desire for anything that wasn't right in front of him by calming his thoughts down. The more he calmed his thoughts, the less he desired things to be different than they are and the more wonderful everything around him became to him. Things didn't become duller, but richer.

So have you tried it...like trying to free your mind of all desires..I expect it won't work in this case!
the starting point of all achievements is desire,,if you have small desire you will get small results or ...if no desire what can happen in that case ,,you could imagine!

zoobyshoe said:
Buddha sat under a tree for six years determining to rid himself of every desire for anything that wasn't right in front of him
As much as I admire most of the tenents of Buddhism, I have a bit of trouble with this scenario. There's no way that six years' worth of food magically appeared 'right in front of him'. Likewise, who would voluntarily sit in a 6-year-old pile of his own ****. Even if food was available, the stench would surely have ruined his appetite.

edit: The tree probably appreciated the fertilizer, though.

heman said:
So have you tried it...like trying to free your mind of all desires..I expect it won't work in this case!
the starting point of all achievements is desire,,if you have small desire you will get small results or ...if no desire what can happen in that case ,,you could imagine!
Yes, I've tried meditation. It works as advertized.

You can try it in reverse if you like: acquire more desires, see if you feel happier.

Danger said:
As much as I admire most of the tenents of Buddhism, I have a bit of trouble with this scenario. There's no way that six years' worth of food magically appeared 'right in front of him'. Likewise, who would voluntarily sit in a 6-year-old pile of his own ****. Even if food was available, the stench would surely have ruined his appetite.

edit: The tree probably appreciated the fertilizer, though.
I don't think the story says he didn't move from the spot for six years, just that he spent his waking hours in meditation there. Of course he got food somehow and went somewhere to crap.

Apparently, Buddha never lost his desire to overeat though.

Jeff Reid said:
Apparently, Buddha never lost his desire to overeat though.
There's a tubby Chinese god of happiness that is frequently mistaken for Buddha. Buddha is said to have lived on a handful of rice a day.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, I've tried meditation. It works as advertized.

You can try it in reverse if you like: acquire more desires, see if you feel happier.

Have you ever heard stories where people did lot of meditation in lieu of favours?

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think the story says he didn't move from the spot for six years
Okay, that makes more sense.

heman said:
Have you ever heard stories where people did lot of meditation in lieu of favours?
I'm not sure what you mean. There is a kind of heretical cult that calls itself "True Buddhism" where people chant to get desires fullfilled, but that is a heresy and not what Buddha was doing.

Related to The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde: Is Society to Blame?

1. What is the main theme of "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde"?

The main theme of this novel is the duality of human nature, specifically the idea that every individual has both good and evil sides to their personality.

2. How does society play a role in the events of the novel?

Society is portrayed as a corrupting force in the novel, as it puts pressure on individuals to conform to certain societal norms and expectations. This pressure can lead to repression of one's true self, causing them to act in ways that are considered socially acceptable rather than following their own desires.

3. Is Dr. Jekyll solely responsible for the creation of Mr. Hyde?

No, Dr. Jekyll is not solely responsible for the creation of Mr. Hyde. While he does create the potion that allows him to transform into Hyde, society's expectations and pressures also play a role in his decision to do so. Additionally, the experiment itself is a reflection of Dr. Jekyll's curiosity and desire to explore the duality of human nature.

4. How does the novel explore the idea of repression?

The novel explores the concept of repression through its depiction of Dr. Jekyll's struggle to control his darker impulses. By repressing his true desires and emotions, he inadvertently creates Mr. Hyde, who embodies all of the suppressed aspects of his personality. This ultimately leads to his downfall as he is unable to fully control Hyde's actions.

5. Is the idea of duality of human nature still relevant in modern society?

Yes, the idea of duality of human nature is still relevant in modern society. While society has evolved and changed over time, individuals still struggle with conflicting desires and impulses. The pressure to conform to societal expectations and the tendency to repress certain parts of ourselves are still prevalent, making the theme of duality of human nature a timeless one.