1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sum of series involving cosine

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the sum of the series s(x) = 1 +cos(x)+ (cos2x)/2!+(cos3x)/3!...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi thanksie, what have you tried? What methods have you learned? Are you allowed to compare it to other known series?

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Hi, Yes we can compare it to known series. I've tried a comparison with the harmonic series and the expansion for e^x looks promising. I'm just not sure how to get started.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Comparing it to the series for e^x sounds good to me.....try writing [itex]\cos(nx)[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials....what does that give you?

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    would x= cosnx? is there a property for cosine where (cos x)^n=cos nx ?

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite...try writing [itex]\cos(nx)[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials....what do you get?

8. Feb 1, 2009 #7
    Do you mean:

x^ni=cos nx + sin nx?

9. Feb 1, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Huh?!:confused: Why on Earth would you think that were true?

Have you not seen the formulas [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos\theta=\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex] before?

10. Feb 1, 2009 #9
    sorry i was using that first one. i was confused as to what you meant with cos nx.

using the second one makes a lot more sense. are you saying i should:

cos n(theta) = (e^ni(theta) +e^-ni(theta))/2

11. Feb 1, 2009 #10
    and how do i even find the sum of this series. i only know how to find a sum of a geometric series...i dont know how to deal with the factorial

12. Feb 1, 2009 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, so now you have

[tex]1+\cos(x)+\frac{\cos(2x)}{2!}+\ldots=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(nx)}{n!}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}+e^{-i n x}}{n!}[/tex]

correct?

Try breaking it into two separate sums:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}+e^{-i n x}}{n!}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}}{n!}+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i n x}}{n!}[/tex]

Now use the fact that [tex]e^{n\theta}=\left(e^{\theta}\right)^n[/tex] and compare each sum to the series for e^u.

13. Feb 1, 2009 #12
    That makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

One more unrelated quick question:
    do the series n/(n+1) and n^2/(n^2+1)converge or diverge?

14. Feb 1, 2009 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, try applying some of the convergence tests that you've learned....

15. Feb 1, 2009 #14
    I looked at this and became interested but got stuck.

[itex] e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x [/itex]

[itex] e^{-ix} = \cos x - i \sin x [/itex]

[itex] \cos x = \frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}{2} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\cos (nx)}{n!} = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{2n!} + \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{2n!}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{n!} + \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{n!} \right][/itex]

[itex] e^x = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{n!} = e^{e^{ix}} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{n!} = e^{e^{-ix}} [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \frac{1}{2} \left[e^{e^{-ix}} + e^{e^{ix}} \right] [/itex]

Edit: I think this is OK actually.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  16. Feb 1, 2009 #15
    yeah I was going to say that's what I got... lots of thanks to gab, I would have put my work in here but I don't know how to use this forum very well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?