The sum of series involving cosine

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the series s(x) = 1 +cos(x)+ (cos2x)/2!+(cos3x)/3!...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi thanksie, what have you tried? What methods have you learned? Are you allowed to compare it to other known series?

Hi, Yes we can compare it to known series. I've tried a comparison with the harmonic series and the expansion for e^x looks promising. I'm just not sure how to get started.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Comparing it to the series for e^x sounds good to me.....try writing [itex]\cos(nx)[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials....what does that give you?

would x= cosnx? is there a property for cosine where (cos x)^n=cos nx ?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
would x= cosnx? is there a property for cosine where (cos x)^n=cos nx ?
Not quite...try writing [itex]\cos(nx)[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials....what do you get?

Do you mean:

x^ni=cos nx + sin nx?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do you mean:

x^ni=cos nx + sin nx?
Huh?!:confused: Why on Earth would you think that were true?

Have you not seen the formulas [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos\theta=\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex] before?

sorry i was using that first one. i was confused as to what you meant with cos nx.

using the second one makes a lot more sense. are you saying i should:

cos n(theta) = (e^ni(theta) +e^-ni(theta))/2

and how do i even find the sum of this series. i only know how to find a sum of a geometric series...i dont know how to deal with the factorial

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
sorry i was using that first one. i was confused as to what you meant with cos nx.

using the second one makes a lot more sense. are you saying i should:

cos n(theta) = (e^ni(theta) +e^-ni(theta))/2
Yes, so now you have

[tex]1+\cos(x)+\frac{\cos(2x)}{2!}+\ldots=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(nx)}{n!}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}+e^{-i n x}}{n!}[/tex]

correct?

and how do i even find the sum of this series. i only know how to find a sum of a geometric series...i dont know how to deal with the factorial
Try breaking it into two separate sums:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}+e^{-i n x}}{n!}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i n x}}{n!}+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i n x}}{n!}[/tex]

Now use the fact that [tex]e^{n\theta}=\left(e^{\theta}\right)^n[/tex] and compare each sum to the series for e^u.

That makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

One more unrelated quick question:
do the series n/(n+1) and n^2/(n^2+1)converge or diverge?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
do the series n/(n+1) and n^2/(n^2+1)converge or diverge?
Well, try applying some of the convergence tests that you've learned....

Huh?!:confused: Why on Earth would you think that were true?

Have you not seen the formulas [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos\theta=\frac{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex] before?
I looked at this and became interested but got stuck.

[itex] e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x [/itex]

[itex] e^{-ix} = \cos x - i \sin x [/itex]

[itex] \cos x = \frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}{2} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\cos (nx)}{n!} = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{2n!} + \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{2n!}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{n!} + \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{n!} \right][/itex]

[itex] e^x = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!}[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx}}{n!} = e^{e^{ix}} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-inx}}{n!} = e^{e^{-ix}} [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^{inx} + e^{-inx}}{2n!} = \frac{1}{2} \left[e^{e^{-ix}} + e^{e^{ix}} \right] [/itex]

Edit: I think this is OK actually.

Last edited:
yeah I was going to say that's what I got... lots of thanks to gab, I would have put my work in here but I don't know how to use this forum very well.