LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lego
In summary, a computer built inside of Minecraft was described. The computer has an 8 bit CPU and 256 bytes of RAM.
TL;DR Summary
Video of a Lego project featuring many gearing solutions.

Likes Borg, malawi_glenn and erobz
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, saw this. Super cool.
Would make a neat educational project.

I saw another one where the youtuber recreated a 2 bit digital computer with lego parts modeled on the 1960's Digicomp I toy computer.

But this one definitely takes home the prize for beautiful lego design and beautiful videography.

jedishrfu said:
I saw another one where the youtuber recreated a 2 bit digital computer with lego parts modeled on the 1960's Digicomp I toy computer.
< digression >
Some guy built a working virtual PC inside Minecraft.

Which is cool enough, but he can actually have the virtual PC run a game of Minecraft, and play Minecraft within Minecraft.

IncepMinecrafttion! :spooky hands:

< /digression >

Nice, I did something similar years ago at work. We were working on Apple Opendoc porting it to IBM OS/2.

Its key feature was the ability to embed parts into a document. I built a tictactoe part where each square was a tictactoe part basically creating games within games within games. A win of an embedded game resulted in winning an X or O for the square.

I won an internal award for it as one of the top five OpenDoc parts out of a total field of 5 competitors.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pbuk and DaveC426913
The first one is a Schmidt coupling. It's an actual useful product for applications such as driving a roll that needs to move while under load: https://www.zero-max.com/aca-schmidt-offset-shaft-couplings. Screen shot from the Zero-Max link:
Schmidt coupling.jpg

Their largest catalog coupling is rated for 459,000 in-lbs (51,900 Nm) torque.

Interesting factoid about them: They only work when misaligned - when the shafts are offset by a minimum amount.

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu, hutchphd and berkeman
jrmichler said:
Interesting factoid about them: They only work when misaligned - when the shafts are offset by a minimum amount.
I suppose that makes sense if you think about it.

If I tried to spin a bicycle wheel using a broomstick handle, I would have a tough time starting it spinning if I stuck it in too close to the axle. Not enough leverage. I'd move father out.

Likes jedishrfu
DaveC426913 said:
Some guy built a working virtual PC inside Minecraft.
Not really. There is a Minecraft mod which wraps VirtualBox so you can run a virtual machine inside Minecraft, but that is not a PC built inside Minecraft.

It's a bit like calling one of these a Raspberry Pi built out of Lego https://thepihut.com/products/blox-raspberry-pi-case

Edit: I would call this a computer built inside Minecraft:
And this a computer built from Lego

pbuk said:
Not really. There is a Minecraft mod which wraps VirtualBox so you can run a virtual machine inside Minecraft, but that is not a PC built inside Minecraft.

It's a bit like calling one of these a Raspberry Pi built out of Lego https://thepihut.com/products/blox-raspberry-pi-case
Ok. I may have to take your word for it. I thought this guy had literally built an operating PC with memory and all in the Minecraft world.

I have constructed many LEGO apparatuses for physics demonstrations. I am thinking about writing about them in english and share on the forum in the future :)

Likes jedishrfu
DaveC426913 said:
Ok. I may have to take your word for it. I thought this guy had literally built an operating PC with memory and all in the Minecraft world.
Yes this does exist: Chungus 2 (Computation Humongous Unconventional Number and Graphics Unit) has an 8 bit CPU and 256 bytes of RAM: this is not enough for Minecraft.

There are also a number of "minigames" that have been built in Minecraft including a 32x32 pixel sort-of version of Minecraft: https://codecrafted.net/#/r/minigame/452, but this is all custom built, it is not a virtual machine running Minecraft.

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
I have constructed many LEGO apparatuses for physics demonstrations. I am thinking about writing about them in english and share on the forum in the future :)
Damn, that would be cool. Signing up.

Also: heaven is bringing home a stack of LEGO kits and saying "Sorry honey, it's for work. 🤷 whaddyagonnado!"

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Thats been my excuse. Or for the grandkids.

Likes DaveC426913

Related to LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities

1. What is LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities?

LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities is a book that explores the history, science, and endless possibilities of LEGO, the popular building toy.

2. Who wrote LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities?

The book was written by David Robertson, a professor at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, along with Bill Breen, a journalist and author.

3. What topics are covered in LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities?

The book covers a wide range of topics including the history of LEGO, the science behind its success, and how it has been used in various industries such as architecture, education, and robotics.

4. Is LEGO: Unlocking Limitless Creative Possibilities suitable for all ages?

Yes, the book is suitable for all ages, as it provides a comprehensive look at the world of LEGO that can be enjoyed by both children and adults.

5. Can I learn how to build specific LEGO creations from this book?

No, this book does not provide step-by-step instructions for building specific LEGO creations. Instead, it focuses on the concepts and principles behind LEGO and how they can be applied to unleash creativity.