Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The things people do

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have any good stories?

I was just listening to a woman who works for the damaged currency division of the US Mint. They can only redeem damaged cash if 51% or more of the bill is recovered. Knowing this, a farmer whose cow ate his cash wanted to maximize his return, so he slaughtered the heifer and sent in the stomach!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

After all these years of wondering where the term 'cash cow' came from, it's all perfectly clear. :rolleyes:

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmm, something about piggy banks and taking things too far.

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4
    That is SO bad! :rofl:

My favorites are the ones where people get their drugs stolen, and call the cops. I've heard a few good stories on that theme.

[tex]\hbar[/tex]

The Rev

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Or the people that had illegal fireworks and hid them in the oven when the cops showed up. Then someone not knowing the fireworks were in the oven turned it on and it blew up and burned the house down.

7. Apr 16, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...cash cow...:biggrin:

There was one in the news recently, in fact I think I posted the story, where some guy was trying to torture rats by tying lighter fluid soaked rags to their tails, and then lighting the rags. Apparently he was doing this in his house. Guess what happened?

8. Apr 16, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

Yeh, a program about the printing and minting of currency just aired again (I think on the Science channel?). I found the Liberty dollar very interesting--it is based on the gold & silver standard. It was confusing--it is legal to mint these, but how is it this isn't considered counterfeit?

Anyway, there was the news story about people target shooting in the desert some years back, and guess what happened to a guy who was shooting at a large saguaro cactus? Yep, it fell on him and crushed him to death.

9. Apr 16, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

Aaaahhhhhhrrrrrrrgggggg! Oh boy, that hurts.

I hit one of these once while doing about 70 mph on my dirt bike. The worst was the one inch barb embedded in the soft part of my ankle. :surprised the rest came out pretty easily...with the application of liberal quantities of alcohol [90 proof mostly].

10. Apr 16, 2005 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You hit that at 70mph?

Sounds reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

11. Apr 16, 2005 #10

Evo

Internally or externally? :tongue2:

12. Apr 16, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I Sure did. It wasn't as big as the one shown but the barbs probably were. I tried to go left but didn't quite make it, and I caught my handle bar and ultimately part of my body on the right side. This sort of thing actually is fairly common for desert bikers. For me it is but one of many stories; and I still have the scars to prove it!

13. Apr 16, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Internally, of course. Injured, drunk, and cared for by four girls in bikinis. It was horrible. :tongue2:

14. Apr 16, 2005 #13

Evo

Oh you poor thing!!!! :rofl:

15. Apr 16, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even a bad day desert biking is a very good day.

But since this was only intended as a passing comment, back to the topic. :biggrin:

I love watching the old film footage of people trying to fly. One of my favorites is guy on ice skates, with wings attached to his arms, and rockets strapped to his back.

16. Apr 16, 2005 #15
    No No Ivan you're not getting off that easily. Tell us about the girls in Bikini's.

17. Apr 16, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry... he didn't give me a lot to work with. :rolleyes:

What the hell was he shooting it with? If it was close enough to fall on him, you can hardly consider it target shooting. And it seems to me that it would take one hell of a lot of shots with anything of normal calibre to cut one of those suckers down. A light practise session with an RPG, perhaps?

Where can I get me one of those cacti?

Sounds reminiscent of 'Captain Rollerball', a novelty act at the drags when I was into the scene (again, someone Hypatia probably remembers fondly). Rumour had it that he was the son of the president of Cragar Industries who make cams and wheels and manifolds and etc., but that's probably false. Anyhow, at the races he'd put on a Nomex suit, a crash helmet, and roller skates, then strap a peroxide rocket on his back and blast through the traps at about 50mph. Another (one-time) gig along the same line was Weenie McQueen (don't know his real name; that's what we called him). I think that it was in California. Anyhow, the Christmas tree broke down, so this poor guy had to flag-start a pair of jet cars! :eek: I still remember the picture in Hot Rod (or Car Craft) of the bugger cringing in fear for his life.

18. Apr 16, 2005 #17
    Just for you danger...The Captian!

Attached Files:

19. Apr 16, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you... That is the best picture... Geez, that brings back a lot more memories than just talking about it.

20. Apr 16, 2005 #19
    Hey, that could be your new avatar. It even has a nice ring to it.... Captain Danger :surprised

What about the guy that made a rocket car and went airborne... straight into a cliff.

21. Apr 16, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

That crossed my mind when I saw it, but I think I want something personal. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll use my Hallowe'en picture from the photo thread.

I didn't hear about that, but I do remember Fred Goeske's rocket-powered go-kart going sideways mid-track at about 100mph. It flipped and rolled a couple of dozen times and he broke his back, but he lived through it.:surprised

There was also some winner back in the early 70's who mounted a couple of RATO's in the taillight openings of a Firebird. They weren't quite straight... talk about 'taking it for a spin'... and of course you can't shut off a RATO once it's lit. I think that the Chief Engineer of the Disoriented Express designed that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?