Why Is Berkinski's Approach to Explaining Mathematical Concepts Confusing?

• Thread starter cove111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with understanding a book called "The Tour of the Calculus" and is asking for help. The other person suggests using another book called "Calculus the Easy Way" to get a better understanding. The conversation also includes a brief discussion about the main topics of the book and possible questions for an assignment.
cove111
i have to do a report of this book but it is soo confusing! I am lost what the author is trying to say. he is using to profound of a language for me to understand what he is saying? can anyone help me out please? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
its actually called "the tour of the calculus" sorry

Not everyone has this book, so you'll need to give more information about which parts are confusing you.

I read that book when I was in high school. I agree that the author seems rather pompous. It isn't a very good book in my opinion...

can you help me out please? my aim is avf073190

cove111, please post the questions and instructions for the assignment you PM'd me here.

Probably the best calculus book I've read is Calculus the Easy Way. They explain things in the dummiest fashion possible, which is exactly the way things ought to be taught.

You could probably just skim that book and use it to weasel your other book report together.

there are 4 questions from i can choose.

1) discuess the characteristics and roles of the key players in devolping mathematics from geometry and counting to irrational numers and coninuity

2) choose 3-5 metaphors that stand out the most in your mind from the reading and interprety their mathematical meanings

3) why doe you think Berkinski begins the book with Zeno'a Paradoz? What signnificance does it have and how does it relate to the bigger pictre?

4) Berinkski give many example of mathematical inventions througout history. Disuss there invetntions particularly in light of the fact that we now at the pre cal and calulus level, take many of them for granted

1. What is the "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report" about?

The "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report" is a report that describes a scenario in which a student is struggling with understanding calculus concepts and is seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

2. Who is the target audience for the "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report"?

The target audience for the "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report" is anyone who is interested in learning more about the challenges students face in understanding calculus and how to effectively help them overcome those challenges.

3. What are some common difficulties students face in understanding calculus?

Some common difficulties students face in understanding calculus include grasping abstract concepts, applying mathematical reasoning, and mastering complex problem-solving techniques.

4. How can teachers or tutors effectively help students who are struggling with calculus?

Effective ways to help students struggling with calculus include breaking down concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, providing real-life examples and applications, and offering practice problems with feedback.

5. Is the "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report" based on real-life experiences?

Yes, the "Help Needed: Lost on Calculus Report" is based on real-life experiences of students who have struggled with understanding calculus and sought help from tutors or teachers.