The velocity of photon in media

In summary: the refractive index part just accounts for the fact that these oscillations are propagated faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. the electric field will continue to oscillate even if the light is no longer shining on the glass.the whole theory of refractive index came much later than the name refractive index.people have used it as a simplification for description of behaviour of light in a medium .if there is an electric field shining on a piece of glass it will induce oscillation of electrons(neglecting protons because they are more massive so there radiation can be neglected) which in turn will emit their own radiation which when combines with the original electric field will give rise to a phase shift of the electric field which can be
azureth
what is the velocity of photon in media, c or c/n ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that would depend on the media. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading something about the speed of light through a bose-einstein condensate being on the order of 17m/s, maybe 21m/s. Either way, very slow. Glass, water, plastic I'm sure all have slightly different values for c, but no where near the tens of m/s like some materials.

Actually I am talking about common media with its refraction index given.

That would be the sine of the angle wouldn't it?

Or more specifically [itex]v_{2} = \frac{v_{1}sinθ_{2}}{sinθ_{1}}[/itex]

Last edited:
azureth said:
what is the velocity of photon in media, c or c/n ?

You are making a lot of assumptions about the nature of photons. There is no reason to treat them as little bullets, speeding from place to place. The whole essence of QM is not to think of photons as existing 'anywhere' except when they are emitted and detected.

photons always move with speed c.the refractive index part just accounts for a phase shift for light.it does not mean that photon move at speed c/n.for further reference you can see feynman lectures vol.1('the origin of refractive index').

andrien said:
photons always move with speed c.the refractive index part just accounts for a phase shift for light.it does not mean that photon move at speed c/n.for further reference you can see feynman lectures vol.1('the origin of refractive index').

Thanks.

andrien said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but I was near certain that light does in fact move slower through a medium such as glass, with V=c/n.

From the FAQ at the top of this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but I was near certain that light does in fact move slower through a medium such as glass, with V=c/n.

the whole theory of refractive index came much later than the name refractive index.people have used it as a simplification for description of behaviour of light in a medium .if there is an electric field shining on a piece of glass it will induce oscillation
of electrons(neglecting protons because they are more massive so there radiation can be neglected) which in turn will emit their own radiation which when combines with the original electric field will give rise to a phase shift of the electric field which can be described by giving light a speed c/n in that medium.

1. What is the velocity of a photon in a vacuum?

The velocity of a photon in a vacuum is constant and is designated by the symbol c, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How does the velocity of a photon change when it travels through different media?

The velocity of a photon can change when it travels through different media. In a medium such as air or water, the photon's velocity is slightly slower than in a vacuum. This is due to the interactions between the photon and the particles in the medium.

3. Does the velocity of a photon change based on its wavelength?

No, the velocity of a photon does not change based on its wavelength. All photons, regardless of their wavelength, travel at the same speed in a vacuum. However, their speed may vary slightly in different media.

4. Can the velocity of a photon be measured accurately?

Yes, the velocity of a photon can be measured accurately using a variety of techniques. One common method is the use of interferometers, which can measure the speed of light in a vacuum to within a few meters per second.

5. Is the velocity of a photon affected by the presence of gravity?

Yes, the velocity of a photon can be affected by the presence of gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the path of a photon can be curved by the gravitational pull of massive objects. This can result in a change in the photon's velocity as it travels through space.