Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The vibration direction of light wave

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    If the light move from left to right, what's the vibration direction of light wave? up-down or front-back or some other ways?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    well, in a classical picture, light is an oscillating magnetic wave reinforcing an oscillating electric wave (or vice versa) which is perpendicular to it. However, the polarization of light determines its orientation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    What about the sunlight?

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What about it?

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5
    I think he means that sunlight appears to come from more than one source spots, so how can it just oscillate in one direction?

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what the OP means... as for your interpretation, who claimed sunlight was polarized?

9. Jun 11, 2009 #8
    water vibrate up-down right? what about the one colour normal light?

10. Jun 11, 2009 #9
    The direction of a photon (radio wave, microwave, IR radiation, visible light, UV radiation, x-rays, gamma rays, synchrotron radiation, etc.) is given by the Poynting vector, P = E x H.. Since it is a vector cross product. Both E and H are orthogonal to P.

11. Jun 12, 2009 #10
    Do you mean the direction is random and vibrate in all direction which is orthogonal to the light travel direction?

12. Jun 12, 2009 #11
    Precisely. For all unpolarized light, the direction of vibrations of the electric and magnetic fields is random, as long as they are orthogonal to the direction of travel. For individual light "photons", the individual quanta of light, the electric and magnetic vibrations are orthogononal to each other, and both are orthogonal to the direction of travel. But light is composed of billions of photons, and for unpolarized light, they are all randomly oriented.

13. Jun 13, 2009 #12
    That's what i want.And thank you all who answer my question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook